Monday, June 15, 2009

Local Wonders......

When God wishes to rejoice
the heart of a poor man,
He makes him lose his donkey and
find it again.


I just finished reading this book called Local Wonders, Seasons in the Bohemian Alps. It was written by Ted Kooser. He was born and raised in Ames, Iowa which is near here where I live now and as an adult lives in the Lincoln, Nebraska area. It was a fascinating book to read for me as I am an old farm boy from southern Iowa. I lived for four years in Sidney, Iowa near the loess hills next to the Missouri River, when I first started teachingf. I am very familiar with the area that he now lives. Loess hills are called bluffs by the local people and they run the full length of western Iowa along the Missouri River. The place where he now lives is an old farmstead in a hilly area, east of Lincoln. The area was originally settled by Cechaslovakians and the area is still filled with descendants.
I could identify with the book because of the country life style he and his wife are living, the snakes, raccoons, and coyotes. I also attended Iowa State University where he makes references of his family life as a youngster living on Kellogg street. He is near my age so his descriptions of relatives are humorous and similar to my own family stories. His Grandmother once got an electrical shock from a radio, so he describes her phobia about all electricity. The Christmas tree had to be placed on the glassed in porch and the lights were not allowed to be turned on except Christmas eve and only for an hour. He laughs at how they had to thaw out there presents from Grandma before they could enjoy them. His relationships to his dogs, snakes, insects, road workers, mailmen, townspeople and history are interesting.
I also find it interesting to hear of the ways of life of people from that Nebraskan area and how he copes with it. None of their ways are bad, they are just so traditional for living in this century. Kooser was originally a business executive and is now a poet and author. His ability to find appreciation for everything living in life and to laugh at all of those who take themselves way to seriously. His battle with cancer has made him look within and also look throughout and view life as clearly as possible, as it has passed by in the past and as it passes by now.
The honest truth, I bought the book for a dollar, I wanted to paint a picture of a truck like that on the cover, and I thought if it read well, what a bonus. It did read well. So it was a win, win situation. Thanks for putting up with my book report. ....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds interesting. I would love to have that truck, restored of course.