Saturday, March 27, 2010

Saturday's shorts.......





I was at a bookstore and found a book about indoor houseplants. It was well illustrated and contained a lot of useful information.  The majority of the plants were far more tropical in nature that I can  buy around here but I did learn some new things about the plants that I already have.
The oxalis pictured above, was given the common name of Shamrock.  They showed the darker leafed variety ranther than this lighter green leafed plant.  I always thought a shamrock was a three leafed clover but maybe the nursery industry likes to give it a name like that to help sell it at St. Patrick's Day.
I did learn that I would be better off if I let this plant dry out and go dormant over the winter, but it always hangs in there throughout the winter months for me in a south window.  I will be planting it in the ground in May when the soil warms up and that makes it a very happy plant.



This cactus has a name of Peruvian Cactus.  I bought it at a Home Depot for a couple of bucks. It became sunburned while in the east window as you can see some of the yellowing going on.  I found out that I just cut some of the pieces off, let them dry out good and then put them in soil and I can have new starts of the plant.



Off subject for now, I took a photo of the inside wrappings of my new shirt.  I am soon on the way to the waste basket with this stuff but I remembered I had place all the pins to the side.  It is amazing the amount of work that is put into the packaging of a shirt, to make it look wonderful as it sits out on display.  How many pins would you think it would take to support the whole thing around the cardboard forms, plastic neck supports and cardboard neck supports?  Well 8 silver, round headed pins would be the magic number.  I received some new spring clothes for my birthday, as I refuse to wear all the shirts and pants that I use to wear as a teacher.

It is rainy looking and dreary today so I will be framing pictures.......many people have needs to have me frame and I will obey.......thanks for stopping by........

5 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

Always a good idea to know your plants! Love the last comment.

JamaGenie said...

What a delightful and informative post! Never occurred to me to photograph a new shirt, but at least we're on the un-doing end, not on the end that folds and pins and such. That would be a nightmare, I think.

Anonymous said...

I love oxalis! That's interesting about starting more cacti. It's amazing to me how they get the shirts in those bags so perfectly. I remember occasionally my dad would get one that did not fit; what a nightmare to get the shirt back in the bag! I guess I missed your Spring birthday. Hope it was great.

The Retired One said...

I would like to cut down on our houseplants so when we travel I don't have to worry about someone watering them or so that turning down our temp. in the house in the winter won't kill them...but I really enjoy my Xmas cactus flowers in the dead of winter when I am here. ha

Linda said...

Watch out for the colonising properties of Shamrock. My Dad had some in his greenhouse and it self-seeded onto the floor where it comes up year after year. It's pretty, but it spreads!

Oh those pins in shirts! Thankfully they seem to be less popular here now - just one plastic clip is now the norm.