Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday Shorts....




Sad bulldogs who have lost most of their family.  When my Grandmother Burgus was having her house cleaned out for a sale, these guys with two other brothers and sister, and their mom and dad, came to live at out house. That had to be around 1957 or so.  My Grandmother was English with a maiden name of Turner and her mom was an Abbernathy.  I always thought of the set as a set of British bulldogs, even though I could be wrong.  The mother and father were three or four times larger and they had black collars on them.  They are glazed in a mother of pearl white glaze.
After my one brother had moved back into the house a few years back, with my parents, the set had an accident.  They use to sit on one of these wooden moon shaped "what not" thing that had many different stair steps.  Mom could put a lot of salt and pepper things on the steps.  One night the whole thing had an accident with my brother and these two are all that are left.
I really am on the hunt for these ceramic guys also among other things.  I search the ebay site once in a while and hope to run across the adult ones.  They had a lot of detail on them with painted eyes that were more than just dots.




I never had the opportunity to share this tidbit, but the hippies did not influence the mushroom Christmas ornament.  The Germans first introduced the glass blown ornaments and for some reason the mushroom and the acorn is a part of the early collection of things they made.  It really does look like a hippie's mushroom.



Yes, we still have a few Christmas decorations to put away. This was hanging on the door and I thought I would play with it.  I liked the textured twisted cords as it almost looks like a creature.







Another painting done by my wife that is ready to be shipped. We shipped to Germany last week and this one goes to California. I guess the woman said she was taking it to her Lake Tahoe home. I  have learned how to pack them with a double box and bubblewrap in order to send them safely. The skill of box making by me has improved a lot since she started selling work.

I hope you have a restful Sunday.  It will be good to take a break and relax.  Thanks for stopping by.....

8 comments:

tony said...

I hope your other bulldogs return Home soon. Hey! My Grandmother's maiden name was also Turner!(she married a guy called Younger).

Gigi Ann said...

Sorry to hear about the accident, but can relate. I think we all have experienced accidents we wish would never have happened. But they happen so quickly, nothing we can do, but stand and look at the mess.

Your wife does such nice art work. The painting is lovely. And this from someone who can't even draw stick people.

Have a nice relaxing Sunday.

Ann

Erin said...

Very cute bulldogs. Have you tried Calypso in Valley West Mall? They have great stuff: art deco, old records, random one-of-a-kind things mixed in with newer modern knick knacks. Worth a shot.

Rae said...

I think your little bulldogs look like 'Frenchies'- French Bulldogs. English bulldogs have flat ears I believe. French bulldogs are know for their 'bat ears'. Too bad they lost part of their family. They are very cute.
Your wife is very talented. Her painting is gorgeous!

Meri said...

When I'm in antique stores, I'll keep this in mind. I'm a collector of interesting Beatles memorabilia, but there doesn't seem to be much available anymore.

The Retired One said...

Those little bulldogs do look sad!
They are very unusual, I have not seen any like them in the antique shops.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Those dogs remind me of some that I have from my Grandma, her family is also English. The dogs are also very simple just like the ones you have. I used to play with them when I was little, now my daughter has them on a shelf in her room.
The painting by your wife is beautiful! I'm sure the recipient will love it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Larry, That mushroom ornament is wonderful..I knew the Germans did the first ornaments..but did not realize they did mushrooms and acorns first..thanks for sharing:)