Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sunday's stuff.....



A box in my spare room that I  brought home from my parents' place. The label is clear  as to whatto originally came in the box.




Contents on the label are all in there, but what is with the extra stuff? An extra engine, caboose and a few cars that probably fit in between.  I don't know for sure why there are more.  My brother sent this set to my dad, who was in his 70's at the time.  He never played with it nor wanted to, but he watched my two boys set it up and play with it.  That was fun for him.  He really loved his grandkids and never saw them enough.

Again, I have a train with no track, well, yes there is one piece as you can see.
I thought the box and it's contents made a neat photo.  When I get them sorted into the two sets, then I will try my hand a taking some fun photos.  It would look great set up on that new dining room table.  Well maybe I shouldn't do that!  Well on the tablecloth on the dining room table.  I don't want to be the first to put a scratch in it.




I wanted to show you the thing that I have been working on beside the rocks.  This is a piece of scrap walnut that the shop teacher had thrown away, The back part that looks like rocks in the back is actually the rough part of the walnut slab.  I don't know if I am done with it.  I need to add a couple more things.

We are getting out of the house today. The side streets aren't great but the main streets and highways are pretty much clear now.  It still is an unbelievable cold experience to be outside.  Have a restful Sunday.   Thanks for stopping by.......

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the painting! What other interesting canvases have you used? I've seen rocks, saw blades, and milk cans painted.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Your painting is really nice and it looks good on the wood. The edge just seems to flow into the painting itself.

The Great Ethan Allen said...

we used to have a toy train growing up. Dad built a special table for it to ride on. But we never made any scenery or background for it. It got kinda old for us after about a year...Just a traint going around a bare track. Looking back, it would have been cool to make some trees, mountains, and towns for it.

Unknown said...

Why do I think those train pieces might eventually become incorporated in folk art? Great work!

Far Side of Fifty said...

You have a great looking box of trains there Larry..perhaps you should stay away from the dining room table..maybe you need some track and a 4 by 8 sheet of plywood on casters..just an idea! I like your walnut slab painting..very cool:)

The Retired One said...

I love your bear painting on that piece of scrap wood! Fabulous!
I love looking at something and being able to see the vision of making a piece of art out of the raw material!

Hilary said...

I love that painting and your use of natural surfaces on which to paint. Just lovely.