Monday, May 3, 2010

Arrived home and took some photos........

I am getting so frustrated with this remodeling thing. It takes twice as long to do as one thinks it should,  to be done. I want it to look perfect and I can't reach that in an older house, and my tools are never where I need them. I finally took all my tools down to the job site but I needed my circular saw back here and I will have to wait on the home job. We got home at 4:00 so I just went out and shot pictures of the flowers among the weeds. I will mow tomorrow and address some of the wild things growing out there.


I have waited so long to get a nice redtwig dogwood.  It had been planted over next to the blue gate and wasn't getting enough light. So three years ago I moved it out to the corner of my property and it gets full sun all day.  It has really become a beautiful specimen plant. It took two years just to get the roots growing to get it to be a full shrub.


I am going to divide and scatter some of these in the next two days.  It is early spring and they will be better looking not crowded and it will be more free plants for me.


When I was a kid I would see this growing in the timber and we called it sweet william.  I am not sure that is right, but I have heard it be called wood phlox.  I brought it in from the timber down by the Des Moines River many  years ago and it continues to spread among my old fashion rose bush next to the house.



The rooster is finally found and I brought it home. I blogged about these plastic farm animals and had mentioned that I couldn't fine the rooster.  I found it laying on the floor at the folks home so I gladly rescued him.  I use to have hens that were feeding, white and brown, but they are all gone.

We saw real live baby ducks and multi colored chicks at the Farm and Home supply in southern Iowa.  I guess if you have a farm you can pick out the number and kind you want and take them home.  I wanted a baby duck or two for my fish pond but my town would wear a big frown about that. My wife also said that they get bigger. They should breed small, domesticated ducks for us to have in our gardens.

Thanks for stopping by..........

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Larry, Wild Sweet William is often called Meadow Phlox..either one is correct. It is very pretty tucked in amongst the roses. Good time to split those Hostas..it is pretty hard to kill them:)

Anonymous said...

I have not seen the redtwig dogwood - it's very striking. I am not familiar with the wild Sweet William but it is very pretty. One of the things that I need help with is dividing some monster hostas - like you, I love free plants!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Love your little Phlox. It's always nice to divide plants, giving us more to spread around our gardens.

Hope your remodeling goes smoother and comes out satisfactory to all.

Have a great day ~ FlowerLady