Monday, April 11, 2011

Chickens


If I were like some people who put things in a bucket of the things they want to do before they die, I would have chickens.  My reality check says that the bucket of ideas is not going to happen. I am lucky to enjoy what I do have to do in my life and I will appreciate it.  I am stuck in the city for the rest of my life.

.
It doesn't stop me from buying books like this one from the discount pile and to enjoy knowing the info and learning about the different breeds of chickens.   When I was a kid on the farm, one of my brothers brought home from a neighbor,  Banties, Bantum, chickens and I really enjoyed having them around the farm.  Every spring there were new batches of the tiny chickens out there following the mother hen, picking in the dirt for things to eat. A few years back my memory banks were jolted as I saw them at the zoo.


The book was printed in the fine country of the United Kingdom and it also has crafting ideas with recipes for egg dishes.


I also have the memories of my mom raising brooder chickens for cleaning and eating. I never realized that chickens that they raise to butcher are a mix of cleghorn and game chickens.   That is another whole story.  We also had Cleghorn laying hens on the farm and I collected the eggs daily as well as recieved my flogging from the chickens in the nest.

Some cities allow people to have portable chicken crates that you can move around on your property but not in Iowa.

I will be subbing for the next two days in a Middle School Science room.  The teacher has parents who lost their home in the tornadoes in northern Iowa. They lived in or near Mapleton, Iowa.  I hope that all turns out alright for his parents.

Thanks for stopping by.........

6 comments:

Rae said...

Interesting info about the chickens. My husband grew up on the farm raising chickens. I've always thought it would be nice to have a few too, but he says no way. He had enough of cleaning up after them as a kid.
That is sad about the tornado destruction. It seems more real somehow when you actually know the people involved, instead of just hearing about it on the news.

Maria said...

My grandparents used to raise chickens and I as a toddler would wake up early in the morning with them as my alarm clock...w/c means that I already need to feed them with gritted grains of rice and/or corn. Whenever they see me with the feeds container, they would flock around me like I'm a superstar! :p I was allowed to feed the little chicks from my palm...

Such a lovely memory...thanks for reminding me about my childhood by this post about 'chickens'.

Vernita Hoyt said...

Beautiful chickens! My mother used to raise chickens for a few years. We had fresh eggs for breakfast and fresh chicken for dinner. Today's grocery store fare doesn't even compare.

Debbie Lo said...

I loved your chicken pictures and memories, Larry. We can't have chickens where we live either, but I sure wish we could. Like you, I don't know if we'll ever live someplace where having chickens is a possibility, but is fun to consider. If we ever do get chickens, now I know who to go to for advice on how to care for them! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Sad to hear about the teacher's parents losing their home in a tornado. God bless them.

I like the book that you have featured. One of my girlfriends from college grew up on a farm with chickens and it was always fascinating to visit with her.

I also follow a few blog friends who raise chickens.

You'll have to share some of the egg recipes some day.

Wishing you a good week at school.

Far Side of Fifty said...

So sad about the tornados..
I like chickens too..but they are messy little creatures..but they do eat ticks..hmmm.
I can totally identify the being flogged by a chicken part..some of them were so mean. You have pleasant memories of the Bantams..I do not..they are little terrorists:)