Monday, April 25, 2011

Three prattles.........


The property across the alley from my parents home has an old four by four house.  The renters either found a house to buy or left because of rent problems.  The owner of the house has again an empty house.  The owners decided to remove all of the bushes around the house.  I was surprised to find this wonderful large lilac cut to the ground.  It won't bloom again for a long time if ever  because of the way that they cut it back.  It looks like they might bring in a stump remover to eradicate it.

I have tried to get starts from if for years but this time I succeeded.  There were two new sprouts next to the alley that had come up and I helped myself.   It is so sad that this beautiful mature lilac was not allowed to continue to grow.  It's color was a deep red violet.   I am so pleased to get these starts and know that it will be a couple of years before I will ever see it bloom again.


I have returned to this blog and posted last years photo of the lilac start that I now have.


My dad had built this three season porch on the back of his ranch house.  It has a Ben Franklin stove that sat on the brick foundation.  It was taken to the garage by my mom's orders and I hope the new owners bring it back.  I wanted to show you the siding behind this area.  When my dad tore down the old Victorian that sat on the sight, he did it by hand, saving a lot of the woodwork and interior wood features.  One of the rooms had walls of paneling.  The paneling was all hand cut and created with insert panels.  If you click on the photo you can see it's craftsmanship.  The wainscoting and paneling were left with their natural stain on them and it was almost black looking and cracked.  We decided to revive it with this paint job.


I remember planting these tulips many yeas ago at my parents.  I have always liked them but have never seen them for sale anywhere.  They are actually a little mini sized tulip.  I may have to slip a couple of the bulbs out of the ground after they bloom and bring them home.  The have spread up and down the driveway.

Thanks for stopping by..........rain is predicted for the next couple of days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Larry, How sad that the mature lilac was chopped down. I'm happy you were successful in getting some starts. Those tulips are so unique. The paneling is really a work of art. What a treasure to have preserved it. Hope you don't get any storms along with the rain.

Debbie Lo said...

I agree...how sad that the lilac bush was cut down. I love how their flowers smell, and wish I had a bush in our back yard!

I love the pattern of the paneling behind the old fireplace, and the color is wonderful too!