Thursday, July 14, 2011

A recipe from the old man.........


I picked the last of my raspberries on Monday.  The black bugs had taken over the fruit. I could pull off one and the black bug was at the bottom of the berry eating away.  I also had the green inch worms along with the mosquitoes.  I forced picked under great scrutiny about two cups of berries and then I quit. I will pick no more.  We have enough for five pies in the freezer right now.


I watched a PBS garden show last year which isn't on this year.  Shawn was the host and he had a younger chef guy on the show to share old time recipes.  I tried it out with my two cups of berries just to see if it would work.
The recipe actually came from the maid of the chef's Southern plantation Grandma.  You smash together one cup of sugar with one cup of raspberries with a spoon.   It seemed too simple, but it did work and it is good.  You refrigerate it of course and it keeps for a week or so as a sauce or better yet as a jam for your toast in the morning. 


I used too large of jar for mine.  I had two cups of berries and it filled this jar half full.  We tried it on our toast the next morning and it is great.  There is a little bit of watery sweet juice with it but that goes into the toast with out making it seem soggy.  It is a very fresh taste for an in season berry. We don't have vanilla ice cream right now but I know it would be great on it.

Summer colds are in our household and I hate them.  I don't need a sore throat in the summer.  I don't know where we picked them up but I hope they don't last longer than the two days that we have had them so far.  I at first thought it was reacting to work in the old dusty garage down on the farm, but this is a cold just like the one described on the news last night.

Thanks for stopping by.......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The raspberries sound delicious on toast. Sorry to hear you are under the weather. Hope you feel better soon.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a delicious sounding easy recipe.

Sorry summer colds are going around and hope you both feel much better soon.

FlowerLady

Far Side of Fifty said...

I used to do that with strawberries and then eat the toast with a fork..I didn't use a whole cup of sugar..just enough to take the tart out.. Maybe Raspberries are good for a summer cold. I hope you and Della feel better soon:)

Alan Burnett said...

Sounds like a smashing recipe. I have been thinking of getting some raspberry plants for some time - your post might just have tempted me into action.