Saturday, April 7, 2012

Frame job completed.......


Some of my handiwork in which I framed this piece last weekend. It is an old document.  It was signed by the Pope for a blessing to the anniversary of a marriage.  It was done in 1959.  I lay in a basement for many years all rolled up tightly.  It took rolling it onto different sizes of tubes to get it to finally flatten out for me.  The material is more of a woven paper and it would spring close fast with great resistance.  The photo was pasted on there with natural glue and allowed the photo to get crumpled as it aged.


This is what was written under the photo when I had one side of it loosened.  I don't know what it means but it is a part of it's history.


Mr. and Mrs. Domo Pagliai  is the name on the document along with Pope John. They were probably some of the Italian immigrants that came into this area to work in the coal mines. There were two large communities of people in the area who lived near the mines.  The owner really had never seen it before now as it was too tight for them to unroll.  I mentioned to him that the painting and lettering was all hand created and he was really excited about it then.


Just for fun I went back and will show you my archived photo of the document before I started.  I had it for months working it out of it's almost permanent shape.

I am framing crocheted names today and I will share them later.  A woman makes these for wedding gifts and she is so sweet I consented to frame a couple more for her. We made it to Tenebrae service last night and are looking forward to Easter service tomorrow.  Thanks for stopping by my post.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when you received this and you wrote of having to gradually increase the size of the rolls because it was so tight. It turned out beautifully and I know the family will treasure it. Easter blessings to you and your wife.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

I have seen many of those blessings for anniversaries but never one with such fancy writing. You did a good job saving it.
I'm familiar with the crotched names framed too.
Have a happy Easter.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Easter to you and Della tomorrow.
That frames job turned out rather nicely..I like the bridge in the previous post too:)