Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Tuesday's Things......


I did not move to Arizona.  Some days I wish that I could.  The cactus is putting out little ones similar to the base plant.  I am assuming that I could pull the little ones off and start a new cactus.







I found a pot that I made many years ago down in the basement.  It reminded me that this one Christmas cactus needed to be replanted into a bigger pot and a little bit better soil.  This oldie will do the trick.







The soilless mixture that it was planted in just was too difficult for me to keep track of it. I can't keep that close of eye on the plant to water it. I did see a little bit of soil was in that mixture but it was too powdery to me for it to grow in for along period of time.

I moved it into a mixture of the original mixture and some good Iowa dirt.  It will hold water a little better and the gravel in the bottom will allow it to drain well.  I am working on the faith idea that the very wilted Christmas cactus will come back even though it was really limp from being too dry. If it dies I won't share the photo but if it revives I will share a shot of it.







I must get new batteries for my wife's camera.  I can't shoot through the window with my new camera but her camera lets me get shots like this. I never dreamed that I would ever capture that red band as my very first photo in low light made the the band look black.







I am glad that we are getting rain.  The end result though is that it is removing petals from the blooms every time it rains.  I don't really want to move into fall leaf photos yet.  I do have the tall sunflowers yet to bloom so I will still have a flower to photograph. The grass is growing slower now but the yard is shaggy.  I will probably push my mower around a little bit this morning but will only do a small part of it.  We were cold temperature wise this morning at 60  degrees F.  The state fair hasn't started yet but it looks like we will have fall-like weather for that time period.



I wish everyone well today and thanks for stopping by my post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pot you made and I hope the Christmas cactus does well. I love the hummer photo and also the coneflowers. We are noticing some leaves falling. My autumn allergies are acting up. I haven't been to a state fair in a long time, but always enjoyed it. I know you and the doggies are enjoying the cooler mornings.

troutbirder said...

Indeed you can pull them off and start new ones easily...:)

Patsy said...

We will get cooler weather this week ,must be coming down from your state. Always had Christmas cactus in the past, house plants don't do
well in this house.