Sunday, February 3, 2019

Sunday Afternoon’s Afterthoughts.....


While peeking into my old  cupboard of towns one can see in the reflection that the day was bright.  It is less bright now as the snow keeps melting away and we see green and brown grass. Older toys of my younger days and car replica toys of my not so young years. The plastic horse and cow are from my old farm set from 60 years ago. The wooden blocks were collected from the boy’s grandparents home.

The new plant stand, a replica of the early 1900’s furniture, sits behind a real old plant stand also from a similar time.  The round flower stand probably was intended for a fern placed in a parlor.  My Grandmother Brooks of Murray, Iowa owned the stand.  She and a neighborly couple were at an auction in Humeston, Iowa.  She went along for fun and when this piece came up, my grandmother asked Fred to bid on it for twenty five cents.  He of course won the bid and it came home to her living room.  She too put plants on it but first had me paint it for her in with a light blue paint. That time period had to be in the 1960s.

I was at the right place at the right time and I got the piece from my grandmothers house  when it was being closed and cleaned out after her death.




This plant enjoys being brought back upstairs after the Christmas season. It has two big growths like this that lean far away from each other and one small bunch in the middle.  It is funny looking that way but it is so green that I am not going to get rid of it. Maybe the little bunch in the middle will eventually.

I am headed to a memorial service on Monday in southern Iowa.  My dad’s first cousin Leona passed away at the age of 93.  I am close friends to all three children, who are my comings.  Leona actually was one of my mom’s country school students back in the 1940s.  Two years ago my wife and I enjoyed a birthday party for her and her husband Elva for their 90th birthdays.  They also had their 65 wedding anniversary that same month. I spent a lot of years not understand how my dad was related to her but now that I am older I clearly understand it.  Leona’s mother was a sister to my grandfather.

It is a leak looking day with lots of melting snow going on.  The temperatures are low forties but two days of that has really cleared the snow out of the front yard. We are going to get cold again but nothing like the polar vortex experience.  Thanks for checking in today.

5 comments:

Laurel Wood said...

I am sorry to hear about the passing of Leona. I remember you attending their anniv. a few years back. I always enjoy seeing your plants. I'm thankful your snow is melting. I pray you both have a pleasant evening.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I so enjoy seeing all of your keepsakes Larry, each with its own little memory, and holds a special place in your heart...
Grandmother's plant stand is beautiful, and functional. When my grandma's estate was sold, I was fortunate to receive a few small items, but wasn't given the opportunity to attend the sale, which made me sad.
Hoping you are thawing out nicely, we made it to 67 degrees today :)
~Jo

Rose said...

Sorry to hear of your loss...

I love the plant stand...glad that you got to keep it. I have two big crock bowls that belonged to my husband's grandmother, and had a 3rd and broke it and could have cried. It was my favorite. But every time I touch them, I think of her.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for the background on the plant stand and so nice to see that it is no longer a blue color. we are also getting some warming temps on the way this coming week and it will help clear away piles of snow and ice.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I like your new plant stand and that old one is a keep with a story! I have one upstairs very similar to one my Mother hand and I used to dust...mine is painted also! It does not have plants on it but a small suitcase on the top and on the bottom shelf is an old tin:):)