Friday, August 21, 2009

Friday's A Front Porch Day

On our 25th wedding anniversary, the neighbor lady gave us this friendly fellow. He sits on our front porch and is on duty most all of the time.
I was going to use these photos for my photo blog but I think that the three pictures that I took look good on this blog. I worked on the building of this porch last year at this time, and I am still not quite done with it. The columns are recycled and the rest I built from scratch from all of my understanding of architecture of this house's era. It is a little too fancy for the house but in that era it was nothing for people to take their plain Jane houses and add very decorative porches. That is what I was intending to do. I don't have the spindle decoration up or the fancy rails installed but someday I will.
I figure that if it looks good this far that I can get back to completing the porch when the mood hits me. Research has shown that a light blue painted ceiling under a porch keeps insects from nesting up in there as they think it is blue sky. I painted mine the green with white added to create a similar scheme with my shutters on the house.
I like the look of this classic architecture and some houses like mine have columns decoration on the main corners of their house. I have renovation work to do on the back of the house that is much more of a priority so I will return to the porch some day. The pictures of the whole porch are scattered through out my old blogs. I probably have over talked this porch already so this will probably be it.
Due to a lot of different circumstances we still have not made it to the fair, so today it is. It is suppose to be 75 degrees and no rain. It will be crowded but we should see a lot of things and people too. Thanks for reading......

I didn't put pictures of the whole porch on the blog as I am testing the device below to see if it will pull up the similar blogs about the porch. We will see what happens.

Link within didn't do it so here is one of the connections I could find.

7 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

Hi Larry, Fascinating, as always, but this post has the additional bonus of a possible answer to a question that has been driving me mad for ages : how to stop insects setting up home in my porch. I will definitely give the light blue paint a try and let you know if it works. The "Link Within" gadget works quite well, I find, but takes a bit of time to find the right connections.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Well it looks absolutely spiffing !
You have really done a nice job on those columns, something I hope to change out, on my own home in the near future.
The light green porch ceiling is so calming, and did not know about the choice of colors deterring insect nests, I'll have to remember that.
Full marks !!

L. D. said...

Yes the link within failed me to find other porch blogs, I had many. So click of the one statement above and you can see at least one of the blogs showing the full porch.

Valerie said...

Love the dog and your porch looks real classy. I didn't know that about insects not settling on the colour blue. We definitely learn something every day.

The Retired One said...

The porch detailing is fabulous. We are renovating a house across the street and I am doing a cottage theme...so we are going to put some rails and some gingerbread. I will try and remember to post them when we do it.
How did you find the widget for the bottom of your blog where it calls up older blogposts of similar nature? I would like to add it to my blog...

The Retired One said...

Never mind, I think I found it and did it...I will check my blog to see if it works!!

Ezhilan said...

I like the classic look.I spent some time of my childhood in a big house with a classic style.I look forward to see the finished porch.Thanks for the welcome message.Nice dog.