Saturday, October 10, 2009

Framing in the Gallery.....


I have three larger frames made for a job that I am doing for a woman with wedding pictures from all sides of her parents family and her own wedding and her children's weddings. Also the one frame will be for her late mother's diploma.


Two other jobs I am doing for myself. I can't stop talking about how my new saw cuts perfect miters. Even when the wood is a little warped it cuts it correctly.


I was a winner from a wonderful blog about the New England area and the Oregon west coast area. It is entitled Barnyards and Barnacles. On it's 100th blog anniversary I won, from a drawing, a beautiful photo in Massachusetts of a wandering tree lined road from Sunny, the blog owner. She sent me a bonus picture of one of her wonderful sheep pictures. I have more fun framing new things that are mine.


I picked out two mat colors that enhanced the sheep's colors and also complemented the frame.



Here lies the final assembly of backing, matted picture, glass on top (that is what the funny glare is all about) and the frame.


The tape gun helps me place a layer of sticky tape on the back of the frame so a paper backing can be put in place like the one done to the left.


I normally use brown paper for backing paper, but we were out of it right now and for our own work that we hang or our walls, we sometimes use the paper from old leftover rolls of wallpaper. We use the paper and it does look nice. The sheep picture is the one in which we only see the back side and the one on the right is the picture that I won.




The final process is to center a alligator hanger and nail it on to the back of the frame and putting bumper pads at the bottom corners. Then we need to go hang our pictures. Thanks again to Sunny for sharing her very professional work. Check our her site.

8 comments:

Gigi Ann said...

Multi-talented, how great. The picture of the sheep is cute. I wonder how they got it to pose so nice. ; )

The Retired One said...

Man, I need to get together with you and learn how to mat my pictures...My husband makes terrific frames and I love taking nature photos, but we need to learn how to mat them. What do you use to cut the mat so perfectly on the inside cuts?

L. D. said...

You can go to art stores and find small mat cutters that hold it into place to work with it. The problem is that one really needs a fairly expensive one to get a good job. My wife and I have framed for 20 years or more and we had to keep buying up to find one that worked best. We are on our third cutter now. Maybe I can do a photo demo with what I have in order to cut single and double mats sometime.

Jeannette StG said...

Came over from another blog. Don't know if you are familiar with Cheap Joe's Art? (N.C. I believe - they have a web site). They have a set of tools for doing one's own art frames and mats.
Hope you're using acid free paper...?
I paint, and my hubby does the framing LOL

L. D. said...

Yes, my wife buys from Cheap Joes all the time. She likes to get the free shipping when it is offered.

The Retired One said...

That would be fantastic if you did a "how to" post on matting and when you do, make a recommendation on what kind of cutter to get?? Thanks so much.

Far Side of Fifty said...

We used to do all our own matting and framing..we need to do a whole bunch to get caught up, I have lots of prints that need to be matted and framed..a good winter project! We made our own instructions using the mat cutter..LOL..start and stop points can get confusing! I used to use plain brown paper on the backs..and on small frames I used paperbags..I used to wet the paper..I am not sure if that was an old method or what? That was just how I learned it..long ago from watching.. The wallpaper should work well too.. I will remember that if I see some on a clearance rack! Congrats on being a winner! :)

Sunny said...

After I read your comment, I went back through your posts and found this. I love how you matted the sheep; I feel honored to be framed!
Your frames are really very nice, you seem to be a man of many talents!
Sunny :)