Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A future project......



I found this in the attic of the farmhouse of two generations of family.  The house is now gone but we save a little of it for memories.  The Grandmother of the family moved out of the house and I really don't know how much she took with her.  My wife's family had moved into the house and a lot of furniture came into the house from friends and distant family members.  A lot of things are of unknown origin. My wife had a small vanity that a great Aunt has specifically given her when she was young and we now have that in the basement.

This piece really does look like doll furniture as it is small. It could have been like a jewelry chest and could have sit on a table against the wall.  The work I do with it will be creative charity as there just isn't much here to work with but I can do it.  It originally had a mirror on the left side and one drawer had been left in it's original finish. As you can see there is one original drawer pull.   The rest is really a finish of dirt and grim and is very aged. It sat near an open attic window for a few years.

I saw at the art show where a man made chest of drawers with wood different than it base frame and I could do that.  I also could just make the two horizontal spaces into shelving spaces.  Right now it is just in storage awaiting my time and inspiration to set in.  Right now I will be going home and finally get to the raking of my leaves.  It will be a cold 43 degrees out there but I will warm up as I work.

I am a tech guy again today and my boss is keeping me quite busy.  Thanks for stopping by to see my post today.

3 comments:

The Musical Gardener said...

Neat old piece. Any idea what the wood is. If it is oak or cherry, I'd be tempted to try and match it from another old piece of furniture and make some new drawer fronts. But I'm sure you will have something very creative in mind already.

Learning Resource Coach all week and loving it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am sure you will repurpose it and it will look fantastic:)

A Brit in Tennessee said...

It has good bones !
I'm sure with your creative talents it will turn into a lovely piece.
~Jo