Saturday, November 19, 2011

Look what I found......among the brown and gray.


I have a ornamental pear tree and a chokecherry tree that keep putting out these stunning leaves.  As I worked in the yard I really couldn't help myself and had to pick them up for a later photo shoot.

The zinnia patch is finally gone, with the stems pulled from the ground. The neighbor's leaves are chopped up that were collecting among the dead stems.  I burned the stems and other stray branches from my yard along with  a few leaves as tender to get it started.


I tell everyone to water there violets only once a week and in most cases that does seem a successful regime to keep them healthy.  But as you view these violets the furnace is on and they became dried out enough to start to wilt.  I think that it had been a week and a half since I watered as we were too busy last week for me to get the job done.  They will look better tomorrow.


Another old thing that will need some restoration.  I found it in the old farmhouse and it looks like an old medicine cabinet.  It looked like there had been a door hinged on the front and it could have been a mirror.  Perhaps the mirror broke or the mirror was removed and hung on the wall when a  new cabinet was purchase.  Whatever it was I do know that the outside wood is a hardwood and maybe a little paint remover will show how nice all the wood might be.  I can see my antique collections of things fitting into this shelving unit of old.

It is Sunday and it is cold in Iowa today.  We dropped twenty five degrees from morning yesterday and it was 30 degrees by Saturday evening.  Have a restful day and thanks for checking in on my post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The old wood cabinet will be a great place to showcase some of your smaller collectibles. Be sure to share once you have it restored.

Far Side of Fifty said...

The Violets are protesting! They will recover:)
Great old cabinet..I am certain you will make it into something wonderful! :)