Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Harvest Time.....


The squirrel and the birds were quietly taking away the seeds of the harvest.  I did get this one whole sunflower that has been untouched.

The illusion is that there are seeds on these sunflower heads. The reality it that most of the seeds are gone. I looked out a couple of days ago and a squirrel and smaller one were bending over and landing on the ground. I could have yelled "timber" as it came to the ground.

I cut a lot of them down yesterday and today may be the day to take the rest of them down. I need to take a trip to the burn landfill in the town of the old place and I think these will go with that.

The mess is on the ground and it will kill the grass if I don't get rid of it. This is the beginning of the many things that have to be cleared in the back yard.




My tomatoes are almost all gone now.  I have a few yet but they seem to be rotting instead of ripening. I still have small pear-shaped small tomatoes that are still ripening. They too seem to be having lesser quality as the weather gets colder and I suspect the vines are starting to de. That is the part of fall that I don't like.

<


I picked up a new fish in which to practice my photography skills and to feed. My youngest son had a glass ginger jar that he had used for a Siamese Fighter and it was moved to the new place.  I always feel sorry for all these guys that are sitting on a counter in there individual plastic container.  They are not being abused but they have to be kept away from each other. This fish has great looking fins but in this shot it looks like they are all crumpled.


I worked on the old place yesterday and today I am staying home and doing chores.  I have a yard full of tall grass to mow and flower beds to clear.  I could be busy all day but do need to just take some time off between jobs.  We are warming up for the next few days and that is so great. It will be good to get some things done that won't need to touched until next spring.  I did dig another old fashion peony yesterday and that needs to be put into the ground.  I can't wait until spring now to see what survives and what might even bloom.

I wish everyone to have a great day today.  Thank your for checking in on the old gardener and bottle washer. Tomorrow!!!!

6 comments:

A Colorful World said...

A bounty of joy for the birds and critters, surely...though I hate you didn't get many seeds for your own use. Lovely new fish.

The Great Ethan Allen said...

Huge Sunflowers! I feel the same way about the fish. Then again, I guess they live in small tropical puddles in the wild. Being in a transparent glass of clear, fresh water might seem like a step up for them. Especially if they do not have to share it with a rival.

Patsy said...

That is a huge sunflower head. We are very cool here today,the real Fall just get here.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Larry, seeing your sunflowers on the ground reminded me of the ones we grew one year in VA. They were so tall and also made quite a pile to dispose of and now I can't recall how we did that. What type of fish did you get and does it need any special care, other than being in a container with water?

Anonymous said...

Best wishes with the peony. I have enjoyed your sunflowers. We are fortunate to have a wooded/natural area in which to dump yard debris. We have had a few days where we woke to 40's. It is nice to have less humidity. Have a blessed day.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your sunflower heads are huge! You had a good crop!