Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Tuesday's Here......


This seems to be the most we will do for our fall decorations. We could buy a mum, but the area stores are all sold out. We already have four sets of mums blooming right now so we really are already set for fall. Everything is so green now.  I don't think I mentioned that when I emptied the rain gauge a few days ago it was filled with almost four inches of water. We had heavy rains for two straight days. We are going through another rain now from the Texas area.


The clouds last evening shows that there is moisture up there. I turned the furnace on last night for the very first time since we moved into this house. I set it at 70 degrees, knowing that it will be too warm for Barney if it goes higher. It is going to be cold all day today. I will have to mow with a heavy clothes.  I worked at the house yesterday and wore a hooded parka all of the time I worked.


The birds that left yesterday from our lake ended up southeast of us at the Red Rock dam.  I saw photos of the mass of birds resting along the dam on Facebook. I have never seen that lake but I know it is down by Pella, Iowa. I think it is larger than Lake Saylorville.

I pulled up my past pictures and cropped out some different compositions. When you first look at a pelican pictures  flying it is easy to think that the beak is the tail and vice versa.  I really was glad to have run into the flock and be able to observe their flying and swooping down.  I could have stayed the whole morning but work does have to be done.

The sea gulls are also migrating and they are fun to watch as the group in large numbers. They seem to be a bird that is more independent and yet when migrating they really do hang close to each other.


I am home today giving my working hands a chance to regroup.  I do think, as I look at the radar, I should be able to mow the tall grass here and maybe get my peonies and roses planted.  It is hard to know where to plant as I haven't lived here long enough to really visualize where things should go.  I have a bad grass area in one corner where there must be a lot of clay. I may put peonies in that corner and add some of my new top soil that I bought the other day.  I still debate where I should plant the hydrangea, old fashioned white, as it does grow to be so big and spreads out. In all of it that I keep discussing, I do know that I spend my whole lifetime moving plants around in my gardens. I guess I will just have to commit space for them for now. I dug up some hollyhocks yesterday and really wonder if that will work for them to be transplanted. I would like some in the garden but they too need to be planted in certain areas to get sun.



I wish everyone to have a good day.  It is early in the week so maybe you can makes some plans to do something fun today or later in the week. If the weather continues to be wet we will have to go somewhere just to get out of the house.  Thanks for stopping in at my posting today.

1 comment:

Patsy said...

That Texas rain missed us and we sure need it, they keep saying
we will get cooler .
It has not happen yet. Great bird photo's.