Monday, November 13, 2017

It's the Berries.......


I mentioned earlier that the berries were forming and immediately realized the bush was a burning bush. It isn't such a great looking shrub when it loses its leaves. While looking at winter pictures of it I had decided that bush needed to go.  Now I see that it is not very old and needs to have room to grow.



I am glad we have the shrub.  I really am bothered by the neighbors all having nothing in their yards. There is a young couple up two houses just hired a nursery to plant a lot of trees and shrubs. I am happy to see it to help break up the starkness of our neighborhood. It reaffirms to us that this house was good for us as the previous owners bless it with a lot of good plantings.

I took the shot as a challenge to see if I could get a good composition with it.  The yellow lightbulb must go but it just haven't happened.  I replaced the entrance bulb that was yellow with a spotlight bulb to light things for the dog. There are neighbors who have blue lights to commemorate the brutal killing of police officers a year ago.  I am believing that this color was use for repelling the bugs in summer. I really like the two lights on the garage as they do resemble carriage lights of old.












The woman of the house in the past liked quilts. She had prints of P. Buckley Moss pictures of Amish themed artworks. Moss would paint lots of different scenes that would include quits. We don't have any prints of her's but we do have loads of quilts from my mom's leftover collection.  I am assuming the quilt decoration placed at the peak of the garage gable is a part of the movement in which people place quilt block designs on their barns.

My wife and I are undecided as to what we should do with this.  Our house is different than most up and down the street.  It really is a country cottage design but the two artists need to figure out what to do to replace it. Most all the other houses are modern high pitched roofs with multiple garages making them a modern style.



The downstairs space has been rearranged one more time.  It doesn't look like this anymore. I still have more plants than I really need to have. The walkout basement doors are really nice and it will be great to see all the things that I have planted for spring just outside the patio.  The actual sliding doors are cheaply made and we will wait until next year to replace it. We will probably regret that decision as winter sets in but it seems to be something we can put off for now among all the other things we still need to do.

Those curtains are ugly in our opinion and we do want to replace them. They are bad looking from the back side also.  It is great to have a studio/family room and guest bedroom and bath downstairs. We haven't put it on priority as we are still settling in upstairs.  The back corner of the area has a furnace room that has given me a great workshop and storage room. Our son and his wife with he grand boys are coming for Thanksgiving.  They will have a large space to stay and a lot of room for the kids to play.  Our son last saw this space covered with boxes wall to wall. I will be anxious to see what he things now with it all put away and it looking livable.


The guest bedroom looks like this looking through a back storeroom door. It has the best rug in the house and the space is large for a bedroom. We have missionary friends in Africa who are interested in using the space next summer.  They specifically like that it has its own entrance and they can come and go with some privacy.

I am taking a day off from going to the old place today.  Our temperatures will be warmer tomorrow and that will be better.  We woke up to frost and fog this morning.  Our day will be warmer at 43 degree F. by the afternoon.  It is more pleasant right now.  Thank you for stopping in to my blog today.

3 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

It's a lovely house and looks so well-tended and cared for.
A homey atmosphere surrounded by things that have meaning to it's owners are my choice of house, I'm definitely not a minimalist :)
Have a wonderful day Larry.
~Jo

Anonymous said...

It really is a blessing that the previous owners left so many interesting plants and trees for you to enjoy. I like the carriage lights too and yes, it used to be popular to have those yellow bulbs to keep insects away. One Veterans Day a couple of years ago, it was suggested to burn green light bulbs on the porch. We did that and practically nobody knew the significance; everyone asked us if we were in a hurry to decorate for Christmas!
How wonderful that your son/family will visit for your first Thanksgiving in your new home.

The Furry Gnome said...

Looks like a nice place!