Saturday, October 10, 2026

Plant Your Bulbs



There are many shared photos of the monarch migration in Iowa. Their are a lot of them flying though. We are not in any of those paths but we have one or two at a time. I had this one monarch out in the zinnia patch all day. I guess it is building energy so it can keep on down south.
 


 My moss rose has been peaked and weak all season. I did move it out into the sun and it helped. I have a neighbor's planting that is doing sow well. I will plant it into the sun and the ground sometime this next week. 


 I was at Menards for framing wood and look what I found. I did get all of the daffodils planted with much difficulty. Our ground is so wet from too much rain that my bulb planting device gets all stuck full of mud and slows down my planting.


 I had 35 tulips to plant and did get the majority of them planted. I got discouraged and just quit as I was just not finding new places to plant. I have decided to gift eight bulbs to our friends and the ones in the photo will get planted when the ground dries. I do think that giving away plants is fun especially when I am too tired to do the planting a my place. 


 So the string of my red hummingbird feeder broke and the feed fell and broke on the deck. My wife quickly bought me a new one, secretly, and it is now up. The timing was wrong though as the hummingbirds have not migrated south. They are all gone and there is not a bird anywhere.  I did get a lot of photos of them this summer but not one at this new feeder.  I have it hanging on a wire this time and not with string, which was supplied with the other one that broke. It is so strange when the hummers go away. I saw that one person shared a photo on fb of a junco. I think that it seems early but I did see the photo of one in Iowa. We have pelicans flying south through the state near here. The photos of them are amazing and it would be great if we drive over to our lake and see if there are any visible. In the past I have shots of them flying overhead. 

We have had a wonderful day temperature wise and the sun was out all day. I mowed both front yard and backyard today. I had to mulch up all the leaves under the maple and the mower did a great job on them. I have doctor appointment on Monday so I thought I would get the mowing done before that. I am stiff and sore tonight but I like getting the jobs done..

Thanks for checking in today. 

 

No comments: