Tuesday, March 10, 2009

1949 Pontice Silver Streak 8.....





























I am very interested in history and also the history of design. Across the street from where I live sits this car. I had to research to find out what it was but it is 1949 Pontiac, Silver Streak 8. I love the lighted Indian Chief head as the hood ornament. The art deco design of waterfalls being created on the hood and on the back trunk. The car of course is named after Chief Pontiac. The photo of the restored car comes from a blog. I didn't want to steal from that site, but I have to show you what this car would look like if it were restored.
This car still has the name of the original dealer printed on it and it is still in business this last year in downtown Des Moines. The interior shot shows all the deco design also. Not a normal blog for me, I know, but I find car design history to be interesting. I can see design on these cars being influenced by the art deco architecture of the time, as well as electric products, dishes anything made at that time. Some of the design also has a space theme to it also, like the radio speaker. Of course the metal on that car is very thick and heavy. My neighbor's daughter owns the car and someday she will have it restored. I am anxious for that day, but I still like to go over and just admire it. Thanks for reading.

No comments: