Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spring Day Planting...

Planted seeds yesterday. I like to get them going for my father-in-law to nurture in his window in his room. It is a large picture window on the east so it works well. I started doing this five years back for him to have something to do. He will be 98 years old soon and he feels like he is farming.I had never started anything in the house before, but he babies the plants until they get so big that I have to transplant them in larger pots.
For my own interest I planted peppers and two herbs, sage and dill. I am keeping them in the dining room window on the south. When I was a kid on the farm we had large dill plants that self-seeded each year. My mom used the dill in pickles but there are good recipes out there for biscuits with dill. I planted all of the seeds of the Big Boy and Better Boys tomatoes, there weren't very many in the packets. The Burpee seeds were so plentiful in the packets that I only planted half of the seed in each of the Roma and Beefsteak. Because the seeds do so well, I have had years of almost a hundred tomato plants. I don't like to kill any of them. This year I am going to find homes for some of them as the three of us don't need nor use up that many tomatoes. Thanks for reading.....

2 comments:

Bren Haas said...

HOW EXCITING!!! Aren't seeds great? You are going to have the best garden this year with those wonderful veggies you have chosen.

Great Blog - I look forward to following you this spring.

Happy Spring New Garden Friend!

Erin said...

Mike's excited to finally start a vegetable garden this year. When we bought the house, there were daylilies along the garage, but they're sitting in the shade and rarely bloom...when they do they're strange little creatures that barely resemble daylilies. We're moving those to a sunnier spot and hopefully the rabbits and deer (in Beaverdale, oddly) don't get to too many of the veggies before we do!