Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Let's go sailing.......

Bar Harbor, Maine

I owned a sailboat once many years ago. It was a Sunfish sailboat. It was a foolish purchase and I sold it. I do believe that I broke even on the sale. It went to someone's small man-made development lake in Norwalk, Iowa. That was about all it was good for. I did learn some things about sailing, but it wasn't the best of things for me at that time. It was a baby Starfish and that was very popular back then. Below is a sunfish being raced. Two people in one of these boats is too many.


I would be concerned about the safety of a sailboat on any large body of water. On Lake Superior the sailboats have all sorts of instruments, radar, and radio contacts to the land. It would help to have all these things to keep you from destroying oneself. On the ocean, I am assuming that they require lots of technical support systems on boats as a necessity.



I do like the way that it feels to be on a sailboat with the lack of engine noise, it is a free flowing ride. The above boat was cheating as he was using his motor and prop to get him to where he was going. Did you see the little dinghy attached to the boat?


It has been a long day for us as we were down working on the house, fixing it up and waiting for it to be sold. We both have had a long term virus cold and we find everything we do just gets done slower. The cough and tiredness should go away sometime soon. Three weeks has been said by some who have gone to the Doctor, that is the length of this particular virus and we are now at the end of that third week. When you are too weary to blog, you know that you are sick. Take some asprin, and blog on anyway, right???? Thanks for reading.......

3 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

No take some Asprin, have a small glass of good single malt, and go to bed. Get well soon Larry

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Oh sorry to read your not feeling well :(
I would imagine sailing over a large body of water in such a small boat would be quite scary unless of course you are an experienced sailor.
Beautiful pictures, I can almost feel the wind in my hair !

The Retired One said...

Hope you are better by the time you read my late comments. I had that virus..it was a killer!
Now my fall allergies are acting up and I am a medicine head. ha
LOVED these boat and harbor pictures. I can smell the ocean!