Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sedum and Bees

I got a start of this from a friend many years ago. It is a sedum with light green stems and pink flowers. It has opened up pretty much completely, and it doesn't seem to attract any type of insects.
I purchased this red stemmed sedum a few years back and it is an insect magnet. I was out with my camera and the large plant had 25 or more bumblebees all over it. The bees didn't seem to let me bother them and they went about their business. With the stems being reddish it is funny how the flowers are a lighter pink.
I really never got a handle on getting the bees in focus like I would want but I do like the clarity of the individual blooms on the sedum. I regretted not seeing any regular honey bees around, which I know are having a tough time in this country.
This is a show and tell item that I bought at the Kmart sale. It was from the Martha Stewart collection and it's price was dropped to ten bucks. It was made in India and I thought it would be neat to put a candle in it in the evening when we are out on the patio. The door is actually soldered on a little crooked so I see why they still had it left on the shelf. The little guy in the glass box reminds me of a "Twilight Zone" story on tv a long time ago. Thanks for reading.....

3 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

Sedum is another flower I am not familiar with but they have a lovely delicate colour. The bees seem to be having a hard time everywhere at the moment, I know beekeepers in this country are very worried about the future.

Ezhilan said...

The star like sedum flowers looks beautiful.The 'little guy' looks interesting.It seems to me, it's over the water surface.

The Retired One said...

Loved the sedum with the bees...I love to catch insects and bees and butterflies in my flowers too!