Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Dishes of the past........


I owned a cabin in Minnesota for a few years near Grand Rapids, Minnesota.  Each cabin had random sets of tableware and dishes and pans.   I kept this set of plates when I sold the cabin.  I don't have a lot of them but I always liked the pattern.   It reminds me of red willow.




The mark didn't photograph well but it is a made in the USA product.  It is a Taylor Smith product.  I have a few plates and a cup or two.  I also have a platter and a serving dish.





When I was describing some of my cafe ware that I have collected many blogs ago, I ran into this today.  It is a small bowl that would have been used for the vegetable or fruit when your received your meal at an old time, small town cafe.   We use all of these small bowls like this for cat bowls as they are sturdy and easy to clean up. 




It is made by the Warwick company and the design is called Dakota.






Sometimes the designs on plates are so striking that the buck it costs makes it fun to purchase.  This a Bavarian piece.  The design is actually a stencil design but it is really a striking artwork.

I should have explained at the beginning that we were in the built in buffet trying to find a larger teapot.  The one we were using didn't make many cups of tea.  So we were digging all over to find the lid to the one that we found to use.  The lid was in the linen draw for some reason. Funny it was the last place we looked.  Because of all of the digging we found things we thought we should put in the kitchen cupboard to use on a daily basis. I will share some of those later.

Snow storms have shut us in for a couple of days.  We have food and hopefully will always have electricity.  Most of the rest of you I know are getting the very same weather treatment.  Stay in, stay warm, and take care.......thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

Silverlining said...

I think the design on your 1st plate is more beautiful than the Red Willow design! Thanks for sharing!

Melissa

Alan Burnett said...

Oh Larry, I sometimes wonder how you can fit yourself into that house of yours, so full it is of wondrous treasures.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Too bad you didn't keep that cabin..I could visit! I really like that first plate..I have never seen a design like that before:)