Sunday, February 27, 2011

I have no barn......


An old model T garage of the 1920's.

I have been looking for a great looking barn to take a photo for a contest.  I guess I will just sit this one out.   I saw a neat one on the way home from church but it was on a very busy four lane highway, the side of the road was ice and snow covered and it was a very gray day.  

I went to put some expensive gas in the car this evening and took a drive in the country east of town.  It is a gravel road and there are a lot of old farmsteads, but the barns are not there anymore. I should have taken pictures of the foundations. Hay was used to feed cattle and they don't raise cattle for slaughter anymore.  Barns are taxed and they were not in need of them anymore so they tore them down. There were two places where they have started sheds and quit, and then there was onr little barn that I could only reach for a photo if I drove up the lane and into their yard.  No, I am not going to make the contest this year. 

My father in law's farm has a barn but it is white with white snow all around it.  We didn't have time to stop to get a shot and I didn't feel good about using it anyway so I have no barn. 

The contest will go on and I will just have to miss this one.  I teach all day tomorrow so won't be free to go west of town to look for a barn.  I will just have to sit this one out.   Oh well, our barns are not very old compared to the ones on the east coast  of the country or in Europe so they wouldn't stand up well to the tough competition.  I will eventually find a barn, photograph it and show it off on this site just for the fun of it, but not until the fog lifts and the snow melts.

Have a good Monday and thanks for stopping by.......

5 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Don't you have a barn that was near town with silos..and a pasture..I thought I recalled one...maybe not. Do you have a painting of a barn..take a photo of it! :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Larry, when you least expect to find one, you may see a barn that is easily photographed - always the way things happen. Which blog was having a barn post? I am trying to set up some bookmarks for photo-related blogs.

L. D. said...

Yes I do have a hay shed that sits close to town. The foundation of a very old barn sits next to it and I helped frame a picture of it a few years back.I suppose as a last ditch effort I could use that even though the shed was built in the 60's.

Sunny said...

If you want to put lots and lots of expensive gas in your car...do I have some barns for you!
Sorry that you won't make the contest.
☼ Sunny

The Retired One said...

Oh Larry, we will miss your entry!!!! Hope I can pick something you will be able to get next time...I so enjoy what you submit!!!!