Friday, March 11, 2011

The process continues...........


On the platform I built a shoulder shelf that sits at the same height as the miter saw base.



I mounted the saw onto a base with these funny looking bent nail and screw.  I intend to go to the store and buy nuts and bolts to attached it to the base.   The base fits into the enclosure that I created so it can sit down into it.   I am going to go back and use drywall screws on this to hold the wood down.  I just temporarily tacked things together with finishing nails to see how it all was going to work.


The left shoulder piece slides back and forth over the one by three board.  I will invent a system to hold it into place but for now I can slide the shoulder over at least 34 inches from the edge of the saw.


I refused to drive anywhere with the price of gas to buy wood so I used what I had in the shed.  So you see I have a patched shoulder shelf.   I have a lot of free plywood down in Osceola, but the cost to drive an hour south would be a waste.  I just used this leftover pine wood instead.


I can slide the right shoulder also 34 inches from the edge of the saw.  This means I can cut long boards over eight feet long with straight cuts on this without it flopping around on the miter saw.   I also can now cut my frames with ease.  

There are ways that the original plan helped me but I wanted to be able to move all the parts of the device around without having a lot of weight.  I can take the saw off and the shoulders off and take it up and outside and put it on two saw horses.  I will invent a system to hold the shoulders down, I have ideas, but I just haven't gotten that figured out.  I know the original plan calls for screwdown clamps to hold things in place.  I want to see what there is available before I finish it.

Shop 101 is over for today.  I am an amateur carpenter, or at least a self trained carpenter.  I get by with creative thought and design creativity. I find it more rewarding to make it myself and to create it from scratch.  As I use this I may have to make modifications, but for now I am anxious to get to it.   Thanks for stopping by...............fifty seven degrees F. today, but I think the snow on the ground won't let that happen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is looking just grand, Larry. I was on a search at the hardware store for just the right screws for a project John was working on in the garage. It reminded me of the first job I had for a socket/screw co. back in the mid 70's. I learned way more than I ever thought there was to know about screws! Keep us posted.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I looks good..as long as it does the job that you want it to do..then it is a good thing:)

Prospero said...

Good luck with the carpentry, Larry. My dad is good at carpentry. It's awonder to see him work.

Anonymous said...

Larry, your miter saw bench design looks very practical. I especially like your idea for the adjustable side bars - that's a great solution for long strips. I learned to run my son's miter saw when we laid laminate flooring several years ago - they're handy tools!