Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wednesday's works..........


The neighbor lady made lasagna and invited us over to eat.  We knew ahead of time so we made rhubarb cobbler.   I made the rhubarb  filling using the recipe from an old Better Homes and Garden cookbook. Della made the topping from one of her mother's old cookbooks.  We had a good meal.


I found my flags. I had lost them and then they showed up a few days before flag day.  I have them up on the porch and they can stay there through the end of July. 


Our friend and our foe.   Having survived a tornado coming through out town over five years ago, we have a weather radio.  It was the portable tv radio that told us that we had two minutes to get to the basement.  We were lucky, others were not and that freight train that came through took out a lot of homes.

Monday night was a comedy of errors or whatever in our household.  This device went off ever twenty minutes the entire night.  If it wasn't the warning of strong storms and hail, it was flash flooding warnings.  As the storms moved through the state, they renewed the issuing of warnings.  When the radio was silent the thunder was scaring our little dog so one or both of us had to come downstairs to be with him.  We finally made it to bed at 4:40 in the morning and really wanted to sleep in but that didn't happen. 

Weather has been unusual all over the United States.  For Iowa it has been the weather of extremes.  We grew weary of the heat, then of the cold and the mixture of the two gives us violent storms.  I have limbs down continually because the wind is so strong.  The rain is blown in from the west and then when the rain is over fifty mile an hour wind starts blowing from the east.  It seems each direction of wind helps to trim my trees.

Thanks for stopping by..........we are suppose to go to a church barbecue on Friday evening,  who wants to take bets that it is too wet or too hot or too windy? I will get back to you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cobbler looks delicious! Glad you and Della enjoyed your dinner with the neighbor.

When I listen to the country's weather these days, I think of blog friends in the different states. It has been quite a Spring. I'm hopeful you'll have good weather for the church BBQ.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Ooh, that rhubarb cobbler looks mouth-watering good :)
We are indeed having chaotic weather, we are now officially in a tornado zone, something that was unheard of in my husband's boyhood.
We have more rain today, I'm grinning from ear to ear :)
~Jo

Debbie Lo said...

My goodness, that rhubarb cobbler looks delicious! Yummy! Great job, both of you, on your team effort!

I know what you mean about your weather radio. We have one too, and once it starts going off, it tends to go off more, and more...LOL But we feel SO much safer having it on, and are thankful to have one. You guys seem to have a lot of severe weather in Iowa (we watch the Weather Channel quite a bit), and I'm really glad to hear you own that radio. I wish more people did. It could help save their lives!

How scary that you had a tornado go through your town. I can't even imagine (and hope I never have to) hearing that freight train sound, or seeing my, or my neighbor's, house blown away. I'm glad you and Della got into your basement and weren't hurt!

Be safe, you two! And I hope the rain holds off for your church event Friday!

Far Side of Fifty said...

The cobbler looks really good. The weather is something else this year. We use our lower level all the time so we do not have a weather radio..I suppose I should buy one. We finally got one of those crank radios for when the power goes out:)