Saturday, April 19, 2014

Sunshine on Saturday.....


Yes, we are getting some leaves unfolding from some of our trees.  This is a chokecherry tree that is my earliest tree to leaf out. It puts out flowers but never any fruit. I guess they are bred to be an ornamental tree only.


This surprised me as I wasn't expecting to see it up yet.  It looks like it has a lot of moisture this year as canes of rhubarb are already forming.  I can taste that cobbler already. 


I also was surprised to see this plant being up.  The fernleaf peony will be the first to bloom in my yard weeks before the regular peony bushes. Those who follow me know that I have four or five plantings of this and it seems to be doing well in any of the areas they are planted.  I worry about one of mine as I think we are going to get a new culvert put in at our intersection and I may go dig it before the crazy people come in and tear things out.  The peony isn't that close and yet I can see them being sloppy by piling dirt temporarily to the side and then scrape it back up again. 

 
The surprise lilies are shooting up also.  They are the ones that put out lots of nice foliage in spring.  Then the green all dies down and the sprouts of lilies on tall stems shoot up to bloom in June or early July.


I will finish with a funny shot today.  I had taken a couple pictures of the chair and my little helper seems to have something left behind in the photo.  Tiny Tim is always friendly and helpful with all that I do outside.  We are going to have a warm day today.  I will pick up more sticks and rake a few leaves away from some of the beds.  I don't think we are done with cold but this whole week is forecasted to be warm night and day.  Thanks for stopping by today.  I wish everyone a Happy Easter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy you are seeing GREEN and new growth! I love the tail photo of Tiny Tim!

Happy Easter.

The Furry Gnome said...

Nice to have leaves coming out so early.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Happy Easter!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Spring has sprung at your house!! :)