Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Three chicks.........


 This blurry photo captured off of the net shows that all three eggs have hatched.  The last one hatched maybe a day ago,  I am not sure. All photos on this post were captured by the grab program on my Mac computer.


While the last chick was trying to get out of the shell, the oldest chick was being fed. The second one is taking a nap and the third one is still pushing away the shell, trying to get out of it.


You can age the chicks at this time as the oldest one is sitting up and really wanting to be feed. It will be the largest one for a while until the others catch up.


During this feeding session today the other two already are starting to wake up and ask to be fed also.


If I could show you the movie, which I can't at this point, all three are bobbing back and forth taking turns being fed. I am surprised how she takes turns to feed each one even though they are all different ages and the oldest is aggressive.   Both days that I have watch the feeding of them, the adult has an inside alarm clock that just tells them to stop feeding and get back on the nest to keep them warm.  Yesterday when I was just getting started to capture shots, the adult just stepped up in front of the camera and slowly settled themselves onto the three chicks.

Wildlife in action by clicking here for Decorah Eagles.

Thanks for stopping by my post today.

1 comment:

Patsy said...

Amazing to watch!