Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Yes, it is a Phlox.........


My mystery plant that shot up a few days ago is a phlox.  I know because this is an established phlox plant and they look the same.  I had a hard time growing phlox for awhile but I tried it again a few years back and now it is invading the garden and the yard.  I don't mind that problem as I can transplant some of them and others I will just mow over and eliminate them.  The globe alum which one plants as a bulb is very invasive as it spreads by seed.  I don't think I have worked with a plant that was a bulb like plant and yet sends seed out to make new bulbs.


This fernleaf is up and ready to go.  It blooms early in our spring season and this particular one gave me one bloom last year.  We will see how well it does this year.







Another peony shown here looks like a group of palm trees.  I haven't cleared leaves everywhere but I should have a couple more plants up now.  They do mature all at the same time as they respond to our increasing daylight each day. If I carefully remove some leaves I will find the others, I just haven't done it yet.










I do have flowering cherry bushes right now.  I don't get excited for two reasons.  Most years the bees don't get them pollinated as they are so early when the bloom. Secondly the cherries on a bush plant are so small that all I can do is juice them for jelly.  One works very hard to get juice out of them picking the small little pieces of fruit that are fifty percent seed with very little juice or flesh on them.

I am a floater today in school subbing in 8 differnt classrooms.  As a teacher goes out to evaluate their peers in every classroom in the building, I cover for them. It will be a hassle only getting to the classrooms on time as I see the schedule places me in opposites end of the building five times.  The three minute passing time is not good for me to even pretend to get to the classrooms on time.  We ended up missing the rain that Iowa received yesterday but it did warm up again.  We are cooler today but 68 degrees is a great temperature to be at during the spring. Thanks for stopping by today.


4 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Such a lovely time of year and so exciting to see our old (plant) friends returning!

Patsy said...

Our Phlox is multiplying for the first time this year, the older plants have been there for 5 years.
Do you have Hackberry trees where you live?
We have one just over our fence and it is in trouble.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh I love Phlox it smells wonderful! Your Fern Leaf Peonies look beautiful! :)

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Phlox are one of those plants I keep meaning to get into the garden but haven't yet. Looks like the plants are waking up at your place.