Thursday, February 5, 2015

Thursday's Here.........


Swinging open the back door I am able to capture this scene.  We still have snow to wade through and Barney really uses the same path each time rather than to run all over the back yard.  We were -19 degrees F.  last night and it is still -8 as I write this.   I need to go out into the drifts and retrieve the garbage bin so I can collect and dispose of things for tomorrow's garbage day.  I also need to go out and shovel out the snow where the sidewalk connects to the street.






The birds land on the birdhouse before they swoop onto the feeder.  Nothing has melted for quite a few days but maybe tomorrow the sun can melt it away with a warmer temp. I should buy the birds a little snow shovel.








  I tried hard not to share birds today but I did find a couple of sculptures to share today.  The green-winged teal was a gift from my wife quite a few years ago.  She would buy me one waterfowl piece each Christmas and she did until the market stopped selling them.  One can see a few of them out there now but it was a huge trend for a few years, along with the wildlife prints.




 This second one that I am sharing is a larger scaled one.  I don't know the name of the bird off hand as I haven't been reviewing their names for a while.  This one was made in Italy, a casting from an artist's carving.  The one above was made in our neighboring country Canada.



On my Photo a Day header I shared this photo.  It is a lot like the accidental shot of a bird standing in air.  This one was a surprise to see as I was just randomly taking shots. The sparrow is just about to land when I caught it in midair.

I have a sort time assignment at school today for 3 and a half hours.  I am helping out as it is hard for them to fill half day opening spots.  I will give my wife a break from having me under foot and I should be home by 3:45.

Excitement in the area last night as rescue people were over across the street and up one house.  We found out today that the younger man who lives there fell and broke his ankle in a few places.  We couldn't call his grandmother about it to find out last night as I think the family didn't want her to worry.  We were very concerned at first when we first saw it out there.  It is very dark  and very cold with so many cars and an ambulance lining the alleyway.  The fire department is so good to turn out when there is a rescue.

The grandmother, our neighbor lady, called just now to tell us what happened and she was surprised we didn't see anything.  It is best to not tell her things as she has a son that is very ill with cancer. I am sure our kids will do that for us too to keep us without worry.  Hey, thank you everyone for stopping by today.  Stay warm, stay off the ice, and drink lots of coffee or tea.  It is going to be winter for a while longer now.  

3 comments:

Patsy said...

I like your photo of the day. Hard to get birds with wings spread.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I so enjoy your daily photos, which are really wonderful. I'm really glad not to be where you are with all that snow! I hope you do get to enjoy some warmer temperatures soon!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Be careful out there...it is very icy here. That snow looks like lots of work:)