Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Tuesday's Tattle.......


I saw on the tv, an interesting piece about where these roses are grown. They showed that all roses over Valentine's day come from Columbia, South America.  They have the variety of roses where they can cut multiple long stem roses from one plant.  They are cut and packed in a very rough process, filling up boxes of the roses of all the same color.  The roses are immediately kept cold, and packed into jets to be distributed throughout the United States.  It was said that they pack one plane with boxes filled with the equivalent of 300,000 roses.  The are special refrigerator planes and are shipped with many plane loads for our holiday. Each load on one plane is equal to one million dollars.

There you have my book report for the day.  I was surprised to see the episode on tv and the deliberate processes that it took to get them to market at a definite time line.  It amazes me that they bloom out at just the right time.  So as you walk through super markets and see the hundreds of roses you now know that they were grown very far away from their final location.





They had a special on these roses which did not include a vase.  It was such a good deal that they were completely sold out of red ones the day before Valentine's day.  So pink being one of my wife's favorite colors I did score well on the second choice selection.








On my Photo a Day blog I shared a more complete photo of this rabbit. He was sitting next to the fence looking for bird seed to eat. I had a very difficult time getting the photo but in this partial view I liked its photographic look.






We are still cold.  We will warm up a little today before the worse day of cold ever on Wednesday.  The sun does help to make it more pleasant but it really isn't pleasant to be outside. I know the nation is getting a big chill right now and the temps are somewhat varied. That said, I do believe the cold is universally painful and I hope everyone can stay inside and stay warm.

We have had a dusting of snow and now we are told more will come in the morning and more in the afternoon. I guess it does take a break but snow is on the way. The warnings for the cold keep coming in on the national weather and the local weather is just taking it all in stride, calling it a normal winter experience. I am in my old art room today teaching for the day.  Thank you for stopping by today.

5 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Those are beautiful roses, such a nice photo on such a cold day. Yes I heard tomorrow will be worse...it is a real Arctic blast:(

Patsy said...

We are to get snow tonight, the ice is here to stay until Friday then we will warm up are so they say. We have not seen our bunny all winter so I guess he is like Uncle Wiggily gone to find his pot of gold.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

The roses are gorgeous, that's such an interesting post Larry...who knew ;)
It looks cold in your parts, we are covered in ice...I'd much prefer snow.
Stay warm !
~Jo

The Furry Gnome said...

Aren't you a romantic guy!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Larry, no jokes about snow or winter as we have had a-plenty so far this winter season in NH. Admittedly, we are snow lovers as natives of NJ but also growing weary of continual storms every weekend since about mid-January.