Saturday, April 11, 2015

Saturday Afternoon......


I was surprised to see the flowers on these two bushes.  They seem to be the very first thing that blooms in spring.  After two years of drought last year was the first time we had fruit on them.  I was thinking I would be cutting them down but last spring they save their own lives.  



I would never ever recommend these cherry bushes.  I bought them out of one of the catalogs that have all these cheap plants and small pictures.  They also didn't explain that these cherries are mostly seed.  We use the juice from them to make jelly after I take hours to pick the little tiny fruit from the branches. The birds do love them if I am too busy or lazy to pick them.








An update on this particular fern leafed peony shows that there are going to be a lot of  blooms. We are still cold but the next week is suppose to be a warm week. It is suppose to spread from Missouri up to the far north of Minnesota.

I enjoyed shopping at the mall this morning for my wife's birthday that is in the near future.  It was crowded at the mall but I got it done after a lot of looking around. 

We are having a quiet afternoon and I have finished my blogging.  It must be time for another cup of coffee.  Thanks for stopping by today. 

5 comments:

Patsy said...

I guess the blooms and fruit for the birds make the cherry bush's worth it.

The Furry Gnome said...

Your peony is definitely a few days ahead of ours.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the peony blooms. Glad you had a successful shopping trip for your wife's birthday. We enjoyed a late evening cup of coffee; guess we'll be up for a while!

KathyB. said...

A tree that grows food for the birds you love to have around your home, win-win if you just decide the cherries are grown for the birds and don't pick the fruit for yourself...

We have Bing cherry trees and would love to keep some of the big sweet cherries for ourselves but the birds around here pick the trees clean before the cherries are ripe.

An interesting fern !

Far Side of Fifty said...

You are going to have lots of Fern Peony blooms!! :)