Thursday, September 14, 2023

Thursday's Things.......


 The yellow rose is done blooming except for one tall branch with a bunch of buds.  It is a climber and I just keep it trimmed down to control it.  



This illustrates the dueling rose bushes.  The red one belongs to the neighbor while the pink one is on my side of the property line.  The neighbor has weed blocker material down and rocks on his side.  He still has to weed the rocks as th seeds do start in the cracks. 



One of my summer projects was to eliminate the diagonal stepping stones that went from the stairs to out by the bird bath.  You can see that the leftover holes are nicely growing in with grass. I assume the former owner wanted to  walk the diagonal to the vegetable garden without getting his feet wet from dew. 


 
 
I like my plan better as I can come out of the walkout basement door and walk towards the stairs to go up them. I moved all of the stones one at a time and had one leftover.  The grass has grown in nicely. Moving the stones were a lot of work and I did do only a couple of them per day.  I actually moved the stones before I did the wooden stairs project.



I moved a plant today that was one of the former owners wildflower plants. It had numerous roots all blended together. It sat near the yucca plant.  I liked it but it got so tall when growing in front of a rose bush that it blocked the view of the rose.  I dug it out with a spade from soil that I had wet down with the hose.  Our soil is so dry.  I ended up dividing the plant into five sections and planted it elsewhere. I sort of just wander and look for blank spaces where I think it might look good.  Digging holes for the plants was a challenge.  I carried black commercial topsoil with me and filled in the soft black dirt in the holes to help get them started. 

It is a comfortable day out there even though it did get hot in the sun while I was working.  We are having cooler temps at night.          Thanks for stopping in today.


2 comments:

Val Ewing said...

I don't know when I can dig, it is so rock hard!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your lawn looks great! That is such a pretty yellow rose:)