Friday, November 12, 2010

Memory Lane......


Do you remember when the resin made products were so popular.  I remember when the industrial arts classes taught young students how to mix up the resin with hardener and made cast items. I don't know if it is done anymore as I think the fumes were a health threat.


I made this one when I was in high school.  I was probably 16 years old at the time and the molds were made of glass.  Once you mixed the resin and added the colorant for one color  you poured them into the molds and sat them so they wouldn't roll of the table.  After I had created three different colors for this and they all dried with their wire stems stuck in each one,  I had to break all of the glass molds to get the finished grapes.  The grapes are wired to a piece of driftwood from the Pacific ocean. 

I brought it home yesterday even though I was really leaning towards tossing it in the trash.  It is impossible to dust and you can see I didn't get the one lower green one cleaned.  They have been sitting in the sewing room for years and that is the dust I  brought home on them.
Thanks for stopping by.............the weekend is near.

5 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

Hi Larry, It's great to be catching up again at long last after my holiday. It's the combination of shades in the resin grapes that is so catching.

Hilary said...

Clearly you were very creative even then. I'm glad you kept it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

It is practically and antique Larry..LOL..I never got to do this in art class..you must have went to a forward looking high school. WE hardly even got to use paint in art class..only pencils and girls were not allowed in industrial arts:(

David - Pinewood Cottage said...

could you put it in the sink and give it a good spraying? we do that with silk flower arrangements.

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Very attractive piece.
I am so glad you saved it. Most boys did toss their stuff in the trash.

bonkbonk for a happy week-end