Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Ornaments........


My first fascination with ornaments on a tree was with our own tree as a child.  It was always on a cedar tree that was badly shaped and most years it was brown.  Cedar trees grew wild and we would spot them years in advance and watch for them in our timber.  If they grew big enough that would be our chosen tree.

My dads first cousin Galen and his wife June were antique buffs who had most everything in there house old.  I learned to like antiques and the history of furniture from visits to their house.  I also discovered antique ornaments that June had on her tree.  She had the glass shaped ornaments in shapes of fish or candy canes that slipped over the electric bulbs.  Her tree was always an old fashion one but she did have a purchased real evergreen tree.


I want to share a bargain book that I purchase a few years ago. It is a small book about six or seven inches square. It is a fun one and it covers some of the history of the sale commercially of Christmas ornaments.



This is one of my favorites in the whole book.  It is on the cover but also is described in the book.  It is called "Northern Flight" and was made by Waterford.  I don't imagine that I will ever see it for sale anywhere as it was their specialty item many years back.


Decorations evolved from glass blown or paper to plastic.  I remember having one of these in our house as a kid with a reindeer hanging in it.  I found pieces of one down on the farm after the house was torn down.  I have a glass blown Santa that looks very similar to this on on my tree right now.



The book covers a lot of different products that were made by different companies.  I find it interesting to see how the present day companies are busy trying to copy the old antique ornaments that I found in this book.


The ornaments that June had on her tree were similar to this but they didn't have a hanger on them.  They were like this fish design but they slipped over the bulb.

I would like to share every page with you but that isn't going to happen.  I found the book a few years back and I really have enjoyed looking at other books that are for sale at Barnes and Noble. The big time collectors have so many things that were made throughout history.  I won't collect just for the sake of collecting, but I do like to get ideas of what is out there and what oldies look like so if I do see one that I like, that I can buy it.

Thanks for stopping by to visit my post.  Snow in Kansas and we will see what direction it will travel. Snowstorms do have minds of their own.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great find in the book since you enjoy/love ornaments and their history. Through blogging, I have learned about many antiques and collectibles....such as you and your candy jars in the shape of trains, boots etc. Now, when I see them in antique shops, I know what they are! I am always on the lookout for Connie/Far Side's Shiny Brites ornaments also!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We enjoy ornaments and have some special favorites, but none that are very old or like the treasures in your book, Larry.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a great book Larry! I like to cruise the web searching for different antique designs. I have one of those fish ornaments..it is my oldest ornament..I think anyway.. it is pink and blue. I believe it was part of a 12 piece set that was often given as a wedding gift. I always enjoy your finds! :)