Tuesday, May 1, 2012

An Artist's Print Review......


A cropped section of the print by James Gurney  "A Dinosaur Parade." I snapped the close ups through glass and photoshop helped a little to bring up the quality of image.



I purchased this print in a wildlife print shop in Grand Rapids, Minnesota.  It was very inexpensive as the subject matter was not ducks, geese and deer.  I don't know why the shop had it but I bought it for 15 bucks and I never expected to own one of his prints.

James Gurney is the artist who illustrated the Dinotopia books.  I have always admired his work in fantasy painting.  He first painted out of his garage and he may still be there today painting.  He laughs as to how is kids tell people that he makes his living painting dinosaurs in the garage.



I pulled this off of his website which shares a lot of his projects that he has painted. I really like his use of color and the true to life architecture based on classic buildings that exist. He puts detail in all the areas of the painting that make it fun to view.  Click on the photo and take a closer look.



I enjoy his creativity as he incorporates dinosaurs into is paintings, including in the structures and corner posts.


The classic architecture works are mimic with his own additions of work in the pediment.



The people and times are great to see and all the people in the scene are enjoying being in the parade.



His imagination of placing people as casual partners with dinosaurs tends to amaze me.  I don't know if you can call it science fiction as much as it is great story book fiction.

I hung this print in my classroom in school all the years that I taught to give the students inspiration to view another artist creative mind.

I am a science teacher today and also middle school pe.  I see that one class in the eight grade doesn't have boys and girls that play well together.  So one set sits out the first half of the period and then the other set will sit out the game.  I bet the boys are bullies or poor sports. Volleyball is big in our school and girls are tough and the boys don't like to get beat my them.

Have a great day today.  Thanks for stopping by my post.



3 comments:

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Larry:
What an intriguing find, and an inexpensive one at that! The mix of classical architecture with fantasy elements is most unusual.

Patsy said...

Oh! that is great, good post.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I so enjoyed this..I have not seen anything like it before..what an imagination!! Thanks for sharing:)