Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A less than common woodworker.......


The Stack

I am making this flag case for a friend's son.  The friend died about a year ago and I was asked to make the case out of cedar.  It is not the best wood to use as I would have had to buy many boards to get clear clean grain on it.  So I chose to make it as a handcrafted box, allowing knot holes and all to show.  I used only a saw and I didn't use a router.  So I had to create an engineered design that makes it work with few tools.  The  front face of the flag case is a triangular piece that will make it possible to hold in the glass.  Not having wood clamps, I used blue carpenter's tape and found objects for the weight to make the front piece hold tight to the frame while the glue dried.



It worked and the front piece is an accurate fit, after some trial and error cutting, and it is attached firmly.

Solving this problem made the rest of the finish work a simple solve.  I cut small slat pieces to hold the glass in from the back and I have the backing cut ready to go also.  More to come on this creative project.

I am in the High School English room today.  I started off with freshman right away and after 30 minutes they have finally settled down.  I have been around them for a couple of years in the past and they really have matured, but not fast and far enough for me yet.

Thanks for stopping by today.

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Freshmen and English what a combo..The Flag Case looks great! :)

Anonymous said...

The flag case is a real work of art. I remember mama's old cedar chest and how good the wood smelled. I know they will be very pleased with this case.

Anonymous said...

My father-in-law's death was followed by a flag case, like the one you created, given to my mother-in-law by the local VFW.