Thursday, June 5, 2014

Thursday's Things......


I am amazed as to how many colors the barberry puts out as it grows through the seasons. I have two of these and this one has grown to be a very large shrub. The other one sits under the birch tree and it seems to be slowed down by being in the shade.



 These iris are in bloom now and I will show those blooms tomorrow.  I am going out this morning after I blog and precede to clear out all the small trees that are growing in the back ground.  I see I have a lily behind there that looks healthy this year.  This is actually another one of my cemetery iris that I have collected through the years.  I saw it bloom for the first time last year as I moved it out into a sunnier location.  The iris stayed alive but never bloomed where I had planted it originally.





I have very few peonies blooming this year but my row of them along the alley are doing a fairly good job.  I still have dead buds on the plant along with these healthy looking flowers.  While out looking at these peonies I am also searching for sight of any new apples on that apple tree which is near here. .  So far I have not seen any.  I will keep watching as the few blooms I saw on the tree were pretty high up on the tree.










The rhubarb that survived the hail storm gave me almost four cups to put into a cobbler.  We make the cobbler together and we each do our thing.  My wife whips up the biscuit topping and I cut up the stuff.  I added a half cup of strawberries with it to cover the lack of a full four cups of rhubarb.  It tends to help cut down on the tartness of the rhubarb.  The strawberries are full of liquid so we did have a run over of the dish.  Did I tell you how great it tastes? I is so good to eat with ice cream and also cool whip if you want more calories of sweet.



I had a couple of these coral bells and somehow through the years they both were crowded out by some other plant.  I picked up this dark leafed one at Wally Mart yesterday and will fill in an open spot in the flower garden with it.  I do have zinnias up now which is exciting.  I didn't get any planted last year and this year I have a red planting and another mixed color planting. I planted my neighbor a mixed color packet by her two wagon wheels. Her's will be taller than mine already as here site is in the hot sun most all of the day.  My tomatoes are holding their own out in the garden.  We really need some warmer days.  Our nights are cooling down to the 60's and it doesn't warm up much until after noon. After last years severe heat I should not be complaining.






I guess I will close this post down for today.  I wore myself down two days ago so I had a resting day yesterday.  Today I feel good enough and will hit the front yard removing some unwanted free growing things. I will pace myself this time and see what I can get accomplished. I am determined to get things a few at a time rather that going out there and letting things fly.  We are still cool this morning and it is overcast so it will be good working weather.  I hope all of you are doing well.  Thanks for stopping in again today. 




No comments: