Thursday, January 31, 2019

Thursday’s Things.......


The village has been unassembled and packed in its boxes.  The little people are gone and also the horses and carriages. It was up for almost a month and a half and we did enjoy it. It is nice to have a storage area that is big enough and is easy to access.  Once all the Christmas things are back onto the shelves I will line up the trees that I did not take apart.  I have wrapped sheets around them and they are all sitting in the spare bedroom ready for me to stow away.

The couch cabinet is bare again ready to be decorated with new things.  The little bear was a gift this year and he is going to hang around before he joints the teddy bear tree next season. The furniture is very useful for us as we keep antique glass things and bowls that we like to use.  It is like a bottom half of a china cupboard. Our room arrangement really doesn’t allow us to have a china cabinet so we can least have a half of one.
Most of you know that I like to bring the birds as close to my view as possible.  A drain pan for a large flower pot works well for that and I sat it right outside the dining room door. Juncos are the only ones out there for now. The birds don’t mind sitting in the seed as the help themselves to the birdseed.  I would like to see a chickadee or a cardinal to come for the sunflower seeds.  I think it is just wishful thinking. We have a light snow today We  have warmed up to a -2 degrees F. right now and the end of the day we should have 6 degrees F.  That will be a heat wave at this point. We did loose a University student to exposure yesterday.  The air was so cold that it can overcome someone breathing in that cold air.

The junco looks blue in they photo but it really is just a dark gray glow interpretation by the camera. The new feeder is a hit for the juncos and also the one or two sparrows.  The cardinal has not been back for about four days now.

Here is another view of my pet downey woodpecker.  I can’t see clearly but I will be buying more suet the next time I go shopping. He seems to be digging deep to get what he wants.




When the large Christmas tree was removed I managed to bring the plants back upstairs.  The new plant stands that I ordered will arrive today. The mail was shutdown yesterday and I expect Fed Ex was down too.  It was suppose to be delivered yesterday but I know there was not traffic out there all day.  I bet I see the delivery today.  This plant viewing is of a new growth coming up out of the large plant, peperomia plant.

As our cold air leaves the area it continues to head the  east.  We are projects to jump up to 46 degrees in a few days.  We will welcome that but it seems unbelievable. As it continues to snow and be cold today we will welcome the more positive temps.  The temp of 6 degrees will be great tonight.  I know that some my blogger friends will be getting some of the frigid air the next two days.  No matter who was the coldest, I hope everyone can stay safe and warm.  Thanks for checking in today.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

We are only -6 this afternoon so it is a warm up! Hope you like your new plant stand! No school here today, but we did get mail:)

Laurel Wood said...

How tragic to lose a university student. The bitter cold is so very dangerous Karen has been very cold today but like you, warmer temps are due this weekend. I love that you can see and photograph your bird visitors. I love the plant and look forward to seeing your new plant stand.