Monday, April 27, 2009

A collection of things...

I have put together a diverse group of things here. My Minnesota birch looks great with the yellow green barberry bush at it's feet. I have a sad looking holly bush near there the I see I am going to have to move. The forsythia looks bad this year. It blooms once in a while but most years it doesn't. A guy a block away from me has two bushes that bloom like crazy. Maybe fertilizer would help.


The stray tulip plant photo shows that it has cabbage like blossoms. I am curious to see what they will look like. My rhubarb transplants are coming on strong. This is their second year and they look good.
When I bought this property the previous owner had a row of rhubarb the length of half of the lot. As the years went by, the neighbor girl, who is grown up with children now, liked to receive the ten trees for ten dollars from the Arbor Day organization. She planted evergreen starts, six inches tall, year after year along that row of rhubarb. Needless to say the last ten years I have seen dozens of plants reduce down to two plants. I have been transplanting and have three new starts going. I think I am going to plant it like a shrub in my front yard as I like it's appearance and as long as I keep the seed stalk pruned down, it will stay green.

We have had a lot of rain. We have to laugh as the national news people who cover LA or Chicago or New York, never ever much anywhere else small town. We heard that Chicago had an inch of rain yesterday, as if it were a big deal. We had three inches and a neighboring city north of us had five inches. The weather is only a serious thing when it hits the big cities. There is flooding north of us and also a school was closed south of us because of flooding. For the month we are already 2 inches above our average and more rain is mentioned for Thursday.
Well, enough of this. It is now too wet for me to till the garden. Thanks for reading....

2 comments:

Vernita Hoyt said...

Great garden. So you also have a green thumb. Guess what? We had 10 inches of rain over the past two days ... lots of flooding. You don't want 10 inches all at once, and neither did we.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Larry, Your Forsythia at least had blooms..mine usually does not. They don't bloom here til mid May. Your rhubarb looks great..hope you are great at pie crusts..so you can have a pie! :)