Saturday, December 5, 2009

Fake or real, what do you think?


 I am so old that I remember when artificial flowers were hard plastic, bad colors, stiff and ugly.  Well sometimes when we need a splash of color in our display on the porch, we buy the fake stuff.  Nothing grows, or at least blooms there, so artificial fills the bill.  I know it is not good integrity, and as an artist I should be appalled, but you know what?  I also know that form follows function.  It is the first thing I learned when I was is art school.  So the function for our purpose is this bouquet, made in China, pastel rose arrangement.  We have been so busy that we didn't get our fall flowers put out so it will be the poinsettas to be put out very soon.  Especially since it is suppose to snow a lot tonight and on Wednesday, a major storm will be in Iowa.  I am going to stock up on wood for baseboards and crown moldings tomorrow so I can be snowed in and finish my work.   Have a restful Sunday.  Thanks for reading.........

5 comments:

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Artificial flowers can look so real sometimes it's hard to tell unless you touch them.
I hope you'll share pictures of all the snow. It's so cold here, but no clouds or chance of snow. My girls are anxious to see some.

Sunny said...

Faux flowers have come a long way and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. I used to have a single silk rose in a vase on my desk at work and you'd be surprised how many people would smell it; then to make it more confusing I'd spray a little perfume on it!
Sunny :)

Valerie said...

Larry, the flowers are so perfect in the picture, I'm plumping for fake. Hope I'm right. Have you ever seen flowers made from banana pulp? It's a fantastic medium, enabling the flowers/leaves to be reshaped. It lasts for years too.

Hilary said...

Faux fleurs can look quite realistic sometimes. These roses sure look fine to me. :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Fake flowers have their purposes.. I don't like the blue roses ..other than that I can't complain..some of the silk bouquets and even some paintings group flowers together that bloom months apart..I find that pretty funny:)