Wednesday, February 1, 2012

African Violets


The daylight on the left side of the petals gives one a true purple color of the violet flowers.  The red violet is created by the indoor lights in the dining room shinning from the right side of flowers.




I told my wife's cousin that I did not have a red colored violet.  I knew that I had bought one once but it never bloomed.  I thought it had died as I did throw a violet into the trash from a over watering problem by it's owner.

I guess I was mistaken as you can see in this blurry photo that I have a red violet with ruffled petals.





The red colored violet that was given to me is doing well and as you can see it is not the same variety at all.  This variety has the same shape and size as an old fashioned purple violet which is so hardy. This plant has proven itself to be quit a strong plant also. The ruffled variety I have found with my earlier experiences with violets a lot harder to keep alive. They don't like being over watered and react to it right away.

With my regimented watering schedule of once a week and adding low doses of fertilizer each time may make the above ruffle take off and be just as showy as the one on the left.







The humidifier for our house sits about ten feet from these plants and the light from the large window has proven to make my garden to grow well.  With the perfect conditions, I still have a couple of them that are giving me trouble.  I suppose it is time to replant them to see if they will straighten up and grow right.











Yesterday I had to set up a computer lab that had been moved out of the room temporarily.  They put in a new carpet and then the janitors and four boys brought it all back into the room.  If you remember how many cords that you have for your one or two computers, the job was almost an all day task.  I started at the beginning of the line and did two computers at a time getting the keyboards and mice back in order, then lined up the internet cords. I also had a projection system to get back up and working.

Some people set up labs with computers sitting in front of the marker boards and one of my goals was to solve that problem.   I didn't rearrange a lot of tables but I did make an effort to make breaks in them so staff could actually write instructions and such on the marker boards.

Twenty six computers later plus installing the printer and placing other furniture back in place, I got the job done. I threw out very old typing books that taught Clarisworks, an old printer, a computer with a bad switch, and a few internet lines that were messed up by the children.

Today I will be a floater again.  Yesterday I actually started my day in the science room for twenty minutes and then finished my day in a health room class for a full period.  Today I was to be an art teacher but the secretary overbooked subs for the day so I was bumped, not fired, just bumped.

Thanks for stopping by my post toady.


4 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your Red Violet is a beauty..so now you have two of them! You must turn them every few days they are growing very nicely:)

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I hear ya man, we had six computers in our Special Ed. class and I know what a nightmare it was hookin' everything back up after 'floors' were done etc. That's nothin' compared to a computer lab!

I saw the African Violets and just couldn't resist droppin' in to ogle over 'em. Magnificent!

God bless ya and have yourself a grand day!!! :o)

Linda said...

I can't believe how busy you are. And still you find time to paint and raise plants!

Silverlining said...

It's been years since I grew African Violets. The photos of yours are simply captivating! Thank you for sharing and bringing back heart-felt memories.