Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Stark Landscape......


I mowed and mulched yesterday and the place looks pretty vacant. I didn't want to show you the orchard area but here it is warts and all.  I have a fire ring site that I plan moving back away from the garden shed. The pile of ashes looks like a small mountain to the right of the bench.  My berm pile on the left looks like a trash pile and I need to cut up my logs into small pieces so they will go into the fireplace.  There is a hint of red left on the one burning busy and the yellow above that will be leaves that will drop soon.

We were 74 degrees yesterday with a lot of wind and today we are sitting at 38 degrees F. Snow will make this yard actually look a lot better.  In the foreground is my tulip and peony bed.  My new push mower chopped that up with ease and leveled the bed for winter.  The snow would drift against the dead peony stems which meant the driveway would be filled with snow.



The silver maple is now a stark bones sculpture against the sky.  Our sky is a deeper blue in the fall as the earth keeps tilting. I am getting a lot more sun in my southern dining room window now.


With everything going into hibernation my one last strand of petunias are doing well.  They are protected by the fence sitting in a plantee. The fence is keeping the northern winds off of them. By noon today we will be at freezing temperatures and their demise is evident.

Everyone in the house is on the mend.  My wife is a couple days behind me on the past week of ailments.  Eating food will be a joy soon and I may start drinking coffee again soon.  We are still on tea and bland foods but we are gaining strength as we are eating more food to gives us energy.

Our weather is going to become a concern today as we get more cold weather, wind and rain.  My furnace had a two day break and now we will be back to seeing our gas meter spin. Thanks for stopping in today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoping that you and your wife continue to improve.
I enjoyed the photos you have shared this a.m.

Linda said...

Oh dear, the first of the winter bugs. Still, it's nice to look forward to enjoying food again.

Your garden looks ready for winter now. It's hard to imagine it all coming to life again but of course it will, and that's one of the joys of living where we have distinct season.

Debbie Lo said...

Oh dear! Quick! Someone grab a blanket! Your flower beds look so NAKED! LOL Wow, what a difference from the usual color and healthy vitality of all your various plants. I know you'll miss all of that color. Heck, I'm not even there, and I already miss seeing the colors! :-)

I was sad to hear that Della got the bug too, darn it. At least you are both on the mend. Now stay healthy, you guys!