Thursday, January 17, 2013

Loosing my mind........



Denial of the things that take place with oneself as we get older is futile.  I just as well laugh at it and how my mind is going and move on.

I make the coffee every morning.  Normally I make toast and have to wait for the coffee to finish before I pour it.          

Once the toast popped up this morning,  I went to pour coffee.  Oh my, the coffee pot was half full.  I looked into the water compartment and the water was all gone.  My coffee maker must be broken, as they do break easily, but what happened to all the water.  How is it possible for the full pot of water make only a half pot of coffee?

Somehow, I mysteriously poured coffee and took it to the table before I even had put the bread in the toaster.  I was out of sequence.  What amazed me most was that I had to start from the very beginning to figure out what had happened.

Then, to add to more  insult,  I asked my wife if we needed to go get her meds in Perry after school.  No, been there, done that..........we just did that last evening to be exact.

Anyway it is good that I am in a peaceful English room today directing students around telling them to read things and just leave me alone.


I think this would be a good day to share my triple sectioned glass dish.  I am again not sure which person gave it to me.  I think it might have come from my mom's dish cabinet and she may have received as a hand me down from her mom.


When I blogged about glass in the past few years I remember seeing in antique catalogues that glass pieces like this were included in boxes that had the sugar and creamer, salt and pepper sets, fruit bowls, and a large serving bowl.  Sometimes there were glasses and bowls only in the set. They sold this type of thing at dry goods stores as a boxed set for very little money early in the 20's and 30's.  I remember my mom buying the glass serving trays and small cups at the Coast to Coast hardware store in the 60's.


I guess we all know that heated sand is the main ingredient of glass.  Glass really isn't expensive for the making of the items and a good mold lets them make them continuously with few flaws.  The real value of any of these things is the family history, the age of the piece, and the designs that are placed in their creation.

The flower pattern is a traditional design used on a lot on glasses as well as other everyday items.   The base of this one is really decorated well with the detailed geometric pattern which makes the dish stand out as a good design. I have a lot of different glass items with that particular pattern. The patterns many times were repeated in many items which allows people to identify the location of the glass plant.

I thank you for stopping by today.  I hope your day goes well and I will be back tomorrow if all goes well.

3 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Lol...I admit this made me laugh, it's something I've been seeing in myself these past couple of years. I have developed a habit of putting things in the microwave, when they should go in the fridge, it's a bit scary :)
Lovely pieces of glassware Larry, such delicate patterns.
Have a great, quiet day !
~Jo

Far Side of Fifty said...

I think you need more gummi bears ..they may be brain food:)

Anonymous said...

Karen and I were admitting "goofs" to each other by phone tonight. In the past 2 years, I have really gotten forgetful and goofy! Might as well laugh, I guess.
That's a pretty glass dish. You take some wonderful pics.