Friday, January 25, 2013

Mercury Comet.....1966.





I was putting away Christmas decorations and looked over at the old toy boxes.  I notice that my model of the 1966 Comet was in the box.  The hood is gone or buried in among other things.



I was in my sophomore year in high school and cars really were my fascination.  The designs of cares evolved so quickly during those years as they would retool their designs every two to three years.  For Ford and Mercury they were always messing with the lights placing them side by side and then vertically for a couple of years.  I believe it was 1966 when all Ford products had the vertical headlights.


I have long since given up on the car fascination and I learned that they cost money.  But somehow the designs and shapes of them have stayed in my brain.  I watch today's designers create ugly vehicles and wonder who want to drive something that looks horrid.  I also see good classic designs when the form does follow the function.   The roof lines of this car have come back.  You can see the similar design on foreign makes right now and even some of the american brands.



I have just read that this design is actually the third generation of redesigning the comet.  It had a history of becoming a part of the Edsel line and also came from the falcon line.  The historians say that it was tossed into the Mercury division where it lasted a couple of years. 



I pulled this off the web to show you what the real car looked like.  I don't know the engine size but I think the 289 engine was offered with this car.



The model of the engine looks like this car should be place in the dump.  Apparently I have lost a few of the silver decorations on the motor.




Bottom view with the 1966 molded into the models bumper.  This blog is the balance for all those who saw my cup and sauce blog recently.  I found another model of another Mercury vehicle yet to show in another blog.  It too was another car that I dreamed to have when I grew up.  That car was not made for only a few years also.

Freelancing in the morning at school and I will be a science teacher again this afternoon with four straight classes.  The weekend is here and I am glad.  We seem warmer out there today and yet freezing rain is promised by Sunday. I just looked and we are sitting at 18 degrees F.  That is a heat wave for us.   Thanks for stopping by today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think my love of old cars comes from my dad and grandpa. Driving around town now, I always enjoy spotting an old classic. You are right; today's models are ugly!
I know it has been a cold, blustery week there - hope you two have a nice weekend.

Far Side of Fifty said...

cool car:)