Friday, February 1, 2013

Friday Is Upon Us.......


I didn't get the lid on the water barrel soon enough so it did freeze up.  We had a warm spell last week or so and it melted down leaving this large ice cube.  I will try to get the lid on it soon before the next thaw.  I don't think I had any damage to the plastic barrel with it being totally frozen.  I was lucky as I did loose one last year out by the garden shed when the freeze split the side of the container.


Winter skys reflect back from my kitchen window.  This shot shows it to be a lot brighter than the dark gray days that we have been having the past few days.  The blue bottle stays warmer inside than the -6 degrees we had this morning when we started our day.


Staying ahead of the feeders is a daily task as my open feeders need to be replenished often.  This feeder was snowed in and the birds knew how to push snow aside in order to stick their heads into the holes.  Juncos and sparrows seem to be the only kind of birds that I am getting at my feeders.  The squirrel of course and the cardinal must be visiting a feeder where they are putting out sunflower seeds as my two don't stop off that often.  I need to by seed with more sunflower seeds in them so they will stop more often.


My loyal followers might remember this little shefflera plant that I bought for a dollar.  It stayed small for a long time but now that I enlarged its growing space it is really taking off with lots of growth.

I am freelancing today as a tech, teacher and whatever.  I covered for a guy who's car had a flat on the way to school.  I worked some on the website to update its calendar and announcements.  I also have been assisting kids to get computer problems squared away as they can really mess them up without even trying.  One student drops off his computer to me and told me that it just is not working, dead to the world.  I suspect it needs to be charged.

It is too cold to go anywhere this evening so we will hold up at home trying to stay warm. I am not a huge football fan but will pick up a game at the end once in a while.  The end of the game is the only good part to watch anyway with a little drama and excitement taking place then.  We will watch movies and eat popcorn to entertain ourselves.  Thanks for stopping by today.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Stay warm Larry..it was -38 F here this morning. I am staying home too. A movie is on my list for the weekend too.
Your dollar plant grew up!!
What kind of seeds are you putting in your feeders? We put Niger Thistle in one, black sunflowers seeds in three and sunflower heart in two of them..and then Peanut butter and blocks of suet. Two weeks in a row I have spend $20 on the birds...but we enjoy watching them and never go to the real movies so what the heck:)

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Could have been a big oops on the rain barrel. I turn mine upside down for winter.
Stay warm.