Saturday, February 9, 2013

Lettering in Band......


One of my brothers lettered in band and here is the medal that he received for doing so.  I assume that you received one of these when you participated in all the marching events, classes and a concerts in one school year. It would have been during the late 50's and early 60's that they were in high school band.


Both of my older brothers had lettermen jackets and they wore their sports awards on the large purple letter M which stood for Murray High School.  I don't think the music awards ever made it onto those jackets.

Thanks for stopping by today.

2 comments:

Gary said...

Larry,
Lettering in Band, now that brings back some memories. Well at least I played a woodwind and did not have to worry about my lips freezing to the mouth piece during half time, lol. Hope you guys have a great weekend. – gary

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

That's a really nice medal for band. I lettered in band. We got a pin that said 'band' and a bar for each year. Not as fancy as your brother's. Some school really promote wearing your awards. Others not so much. My school was kind of in the middle. Years of participating were usually worn but not special awards. My letter, pins, etc. are now on a small bulletin board along with my husband's. Not on jackets. I put them all together in a display after we got married (we met in high school).