Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Tax Dollars at Work......


In the old days we received a census form in which we filled it out and returned it in the mail.  I am still disgusted with the way it was done in 2010.  If every household received a free canvas bag like the one above,  a free small towel to use for wiping off your golf clubs, and pencils or pens printed up for the event then how much money did we spend on this project? We know that there are over 400 million people living in the United States.  If you divide that into household numbers, multiple and single households, the number would still be staggering for the money spent, just to encourage us to fill out our census.

When filling out the census, it seemed we were taking a poll on who the next voters one would have to woo in order to win an election. Which ones of the middle class need to be addressed in order to get their vote and then spend their money for canvas bags while doing so. I guess the gifts would encourage households of people who in large families to readily identify whether they could speak English or not and how many of them are out there.

If I wanted to buy a canvas bag in order to save the world, I would buy one myself.  If I golfed I would probably cut up an old towel into small pieces to carry with me for cleaning off my clubs and shoes.

Filling out the census really isn't a party the keeps going on and on with gifts. There has to be a better way of doing it.

Thanks for stopping by today.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I didn't get any of those gifts..wonder who got them? :(