Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Wednesday in the Middle..........


As I work on this old home like mine I keep discovering historic evidence of the past.  The wall paper was in tack behind the kitchen cupboard in which I was repairing.  It is so typical of the 50's in appearance.



I have archived the photos of the different wallpaper designs that I have discovered while working on the house.  I didn't dig them out for you today fearing that I might be redundant again all over again. I had found three different patterns when I remodeled the dining room 5 years back.We still have exposed paper in one of our downstairs closets of bouquets of flowers from the 40's. The fern pattern on one wall of the dining room is one of my favorites.






I will try to give you facts on this one and not write about excessively.  The carpenter did not attach this double door upper cupboard to the wall or ceiling.  It was connected by one top board that extended out from the flank of cupboards on the long wall.  I jacked it up with my car jack about three fourths of an inch, placing front temporary legs, posts of wood, to push it back up to the right height.  I lag bolted the back of the cupboard to the wall joists in the wall that it was suppose to be attached to but the cupboard itself is still not against the wall.

The plan in the future is to keep tightening down the lag bolts to get the cupboard wood to eventually warp back to the wall.  This morning my wife noticed right away that the crack between the wall and cupboard is less.  I will keep tightening the bolts until it is closer to the wall.  I may have to put a piece of trim over the crack to make it look right for now.


While working in the storeroom I found the watercolor that I did  back in the late 80's.  It was painted on location near the Cascade Falls area on the Lake Superior north shore.  I never framed it as it has three or four brown spots on it that ruins the painting.  I now think I may rewet it and work on removing the spots.  If not successful, there may be some birds appearing in the photo as they try to cover up spots and also look  land on the rocks.

It is my birthday today and I have the day off again.  I smell cake baking and that is a good smell. It helps to reward the birthday person, me, to feed me red velvet cake and ice cream so I can ignore how old that I have reached. The 1950 year was certainly a different era than today.

We are headed to the bookstore this afternoon for an hour and then we are headed to P. F. Changs for a Chinese meal.  We haven't been there for a few years so it will be nice to return.  Thanks for stopping by today and have a good day.

4 comments:

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Happy Birthday!!! Enjoy that cake.

Glad your bolts are doing the trick with the cupboards.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful art! Hope you enjoy your meal and that delicious cake. Happy Birthday.

The Furry Gnome said...

Really like that watercolour.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Birthday!! Cake sounds great and red velvet too! :)